Purpose: The Associate Director, Conferences and Meetings works with the conference team and other NAFSA staff to manage and support all departmental activities relating to meetings, conferences, and event planning services, including working collaboratively with all members of staff to ensure seamless internal meetings. The Associate Director provides timely front-line service responses regarding the NAFSA annual conference and international education expo.
Reports to: Director, Meeting Planning and Services
With nearly 10,000 members, NAFSA: Association of International Educators is the largest association of professionals committed exclusively to advancing international higher education. Led by a board of directors and driven by a strategic plan, the Washington, DC-based staff works with volunteer member leaders and others in higher education to provide high-priority programs and services for the field of international education.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters under-standing and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
The Associate Director, Conferences and Meetings contributes to and supports the conferences and meetings department team in planning and convening a 10,000-plus delegate annual conference and international education exhibit hall along with numerous other association meetings and events. The Associate Director also plays a lead role in planning internal leadership and board meetings, collaborating with key staff in the organization.
- Annual Conference and Expo
- Travels to conference site 2-3 times per year for planning purposes, taking an active role as part of planning team
- Manages calendar database of all events associated with annual conference, leading the process from staff requests for room assignments, logistics, A/V, food and beverage.
- Supervises Senior Coordinator in management and production of floor plans for all space at convention center facility, working closely with general services contractor and audio visual vendor, to include administrative space, networking spaces, sessions and workshops.
- Produces annual conference and expo resume, including all resume sheets for vendors, convention center, headquarters hotel, and on-site staff assignments, ensuring precise information.
- Responsible for overseeing onsite management of meeting logistics in host city including room set-up, audio visual equipment, and food and beverage requirements
- Manages the volunteer system for annual conference, including the set-up of technology, training of volunteer leaders in use of site and all operational needs for the volunteer program.
- Takes the lead in design, procurement and delivery of sponsored promotional products (i.e., conference totebag, name badge lanyards, etc.)
- Serves as staff contact in managing several aspects of Local Arrangements Team volunteer work including, but not limited to, Conference Information and Hospitality and Student Mentor program.
- Researches availability and solicits vendor-related proposals, contracts and agreements for annual conference for EMT services, sign language interpreters, temporary workers, and décor.
- Provides accurate and consistent information to service providers to ensure the highest degree of service level is provided.
- Manages select vendors and temporary personnel on-site.
- In-house Meetings and Industry Relations
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with sales and meeting services staff at local area hotels as well as convention and visitors bureaus.
- Reviews and sites local area hotels and meeting facilities as potential venues for future association meetings.
- Researches and maintains organized inventory list on local area hotels, meeting facilities, special event venues, and catering service providers.
- Sends out RFPs and conducts research for possible off-site meeting locations across the country for various NAFSA educational events.
- Researches meeting space rental and guestroom rates for in-house meetings, reviews for accuracy and approves banquet event orders, and coordinates travel logistics for NAFSA’s DC-based meetings.
- Manages site selection, contract negotiation, onsite logistics and serves as staff advisor during planning cycle for Washington Leadership Meeting, Board of Directors meetings, Advocacy Day and all other leadership meetings in Washington, DC.
- Serves as liaison with hotels and staff for leadership meetings in Washington DC with accuracy, including, but not limited to, RFP process and site selection, room reservations, communicating schedules and agendas, assisting with transportation, and ordering audio-visual, and food and beverage.
3. General Logistical Support
In conjunction with Senior Coordinator, Meetings and Exhibits:
- Serves as resource to NAFSA staff in planning and executing successful events.
- Provides excellent logistical support and on-site management for all in-house and local leadership meetings.
- Provides a high level of internal customer service to all staff members in planning meetings for departments.
- Strives to streamline all internal processes and use of technology in planning for all conferences and meetings.
- Prepares and maintains an in-house meetings calendar documenting each meeting request, dates, staff contact information, and specifications.
- Prepares letters, memos and/or labels to support departmental work.
Other related tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
NAFSA values strategic innovation. Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to analyze needs, develop appropriate responses, and manage change are prized. NAFSA maintains 9am-5pm office hours most of the year. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, hours are 8:30am – 5:30pm Monday-Thursday; and 9am – 12pm on Friday. All NAFSA staff members are required to work at the annual conference, which will likely include Memorial Day weekend.
NAFSA offers a strong package of benefits to employees, including paid vacation leave,
sick and personal leave, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, retirement savings with employer contribution, and more.