The Volunteer Leadership Development and Regional Affairs (VLDRA) unit provides orientation and training for the success and development of volunteer leaders; support and partnership with the 11 NAFSA Regions; implements diversity, inclusion and membership initiatives; executes a transparent process for nominations, elections, appointments of NAFSA leaders, and national awards. The Coordinator will provide administrative staff support to the Senior Director and NAFSA volunteer leader groups, including Leadership Development Committee (LDC), Membership Committee, Member Interest Groups, and other volunteer management activities/events related to volunteer leadership development. Coordination, support and logistics for the awards and diversity programs is a part of this role. The Coordinator is responsible for working collaboratively with member leaders, other Leadership and Professional Development Services (LPDS) staff, and staff in other NAFSA departments to in order to meet the objectives of the unit.
The ideal candidate will have work experience in an administrative support role, a demonstrated track record of success in a team-oriented environment, and a committed work ethic. The candidate will be creative and a problem solver with strong communication skills. Excellent research, organizational skills, with a demonstrated ability to learn data systems, web content management systems, manage multiple projects and complete assignments by deadlines is essential.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative support of volunteer management planning and the process for member volunteer groups
- Coordinate letters for elected leaders, appointed leaders, and those not appointed.
- Develop templates for annual work plans, mid-year, and end-of-year reports.
- Prepare consolidated annual work plan and reports for the NAFSA Board of Directors.
- Coordinate volunteer information, collect data and develop presentations.
- Facilitate communications and implement systems to streamline due dates and targets.
- Provide administrative support to Volunteer Committees (e.g. Membership Committee and Leadership Development Committee)
- Schedule and send reminder emails regarding monthly Adobe Connect conference calls and send agendas, prepare action notes, posting and distribution of materials and resources.
- Manage the online application and voting process for elected and appointed positions.
- Update committees on various online platforms and communities related to leader nominations.
- Under the direction of the Sr. Director and Committee Chair, coordinate the schedule for preliminary phone interviews, reference checks, and in-person interviews with candidates.
- Assist the Senior Director with contributing NAFSA News and Leader Connection articles/blurbs.
- Coordinate support and logistics for member-leader recognition, trainings, publications and e-communications
- Manage monthly newsletters, (e.g. Leader Connection).
- Monitor and track volunteer leadership participation.
- Assist with coordination of volunteer leader recognition activities and initiatives.
- Update the volunteer management platform, web pages and program materials.
- Collaborate with NAFSA Technology Solutions and vendors.
- Provide coordination for all aspects of volunteer and volunteer leader cultivation
- Coordinate logistics, engagement activities and initiatives in partnership with the Sr. Director, Volunteer Leadership Development and Regional Affairs.
- Update the volunteer web pages and program materials.
- Facilitate the online interest form and produce monthly reports connecting applicants with opportunities.
- Coordinate and support operations and logistics with Member Interest Group (MIG)Leaders
- Under the direction of the Sr. Director, maintain a MIG planning timeline and calendar.
- Schedule and send reminder emails regarding conference calls, send agendas, and action notes.
- Update the template letters and other communication with MIG leaders.
- Assist with requests to MIG email box.
- Update MIG website pages and MIG Leaders in the online community
- Coordinate support and logistics for member-leader meetings to include and not limited to Washington Leadership Meeting, Summer Coordination Meeting, and Pre-Annual Conference Meetings
- Assist with leader meeting preparations and logistics, including registration, housing, materials, name badges, as well as reception for new leaders on-site and off-site.
- Initiate and manage meeting registrations and travel information, process reimbursement reports.
- Submit requests for meeting space for pre-Annual Conference, Leader Room, and LDC interviews.
- Under the direction of the Sr. Director, prepare the PowerPoint, agendas, and rosters for leadership meetings and Annual Conference.
- Re-order Leader pins, stickers, ribbons, and materials, as needed.
- Manage logistics associated with Annual Conference events (National Awards Ceremony, Academy Alumni Reception, Diversity Impact Program networking event).
- Provide administrative support for the national awards for leadership program
- Manage the technical aspects of the online nomination process for national awards.
- Support the Sr. Director in providing orientation to subcommittee and boards committee members.
- Update the Drop Box related to nominations for awards.
- Update the template letter, website pages for new award honorees, and other awards information.
- Manage the conference volunteers who assist with set-up for the awards ceremony.
- Order and install engraved name plates for the national awards plaques at the NAFSA Office.
- Provide general coordination and administrative support.
- Assist with preparations, logistics and training of staff attending Regional Team Spring Meetings and Regional Conferences. Review and prepare staff travel reimbursement forms for signature.
- Secure complimentary booth in Regional Expo Halls for NAFSA products/services, purchase ad space in conference programs, request complimentary registration for Board and staff.
- Provide administrative support for shipping of NAFSA materials for volunteer outreach, appreciation, reward, recognition, for Annual Conference and each of the Regional Conferences.
- Consolidate, update and maintain the staff annual calendar related to nominations/elections, open positions, National Awards, Diversity Impact Program, and other key annual programs.
- Coordinate content and manage production of web based tools, resources and e-newsletters (e.g. Leader Connection, NAFSA News, etc.).
- Monitor department inboxes and forward questions to appropriate leader volunteers or staff.
- Monitor and track all budget expenses for VLDRA and prepare a review for monthly budget meetings.
- Provide coordination for all aspects of the Diversity Impact Program with the direction of the Sr. Director.
- Coordinate engagement activities and initiatives to include schedules, calendars, and conference calls; draft correspondence with participants and mentors.
- Update the Diversity and Diversity Impact Program web pages and program materials.
- Facilitate the online application for Diversity Impact Program participants and mentors.
- Provide logistical support for the team that reviews the applications
- Manage the Diversity Impact Program Networking event and conference volunteers.
- Facilitate logistics and support for the events at the Annual Conference (e.g. Diversity & Inclusion luncheon and Diversity Forum, etc.)
10. Complete other projects as assigned by the Sr. Director, Volunteer Leadership Development and Regional Affairs
Scope of Supervision
The Coordinator does not supervise staff or interns.
The Coordinator must handle multiple projects and keep track of timelines and changes. The Coordinator must have excellent internal work relationships within LPDS and with other departments and maintain a consistent level of excellent service to member leaders.
The NAFSA workday is 9-5; during the summer, it is 8:30-5:30 M-Th, and 9:00-12:00 on Friday. Travel is required occasionally, especially during peak training periods in October/November and February-April. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, as well as the ability to work occasional weekends and evenings in order to support meetings, and travel occasionally are all job requirements.