The Senior Graphic Designer is primarily responsible for translating marketing and brand strategy into print and electronic collateral intended to promote NAFSA’s many products, services, events and public profile. The Senior Graphic Designer is responsible for conceptualization and implementation of design solutions that meet marketing strategies from concept to completion.
The Senior Graphic Designer requires specialized knowledge of graphic design methods, techniques and trends. The position helps establish conceptual and stylistic direction for NAFSA. An ability to quickly translate brand image into design using appropriate brand standards and voice are key to this role.
The candidate should also be comfortable working in a fast paced environment with a variety of internal clients. Using an internal agency approach, the Senior Graphic Designer will follow Marketing’s lead and will consult with internal clients to assess their needs, provide creative guidance and help them achieve their strategic objectives. This will involve a keen ability to listen, consult, and mediate sometimes competing priorities and needs.
Part of a talented marketing team, the Senior Graphic Designer provides strategic creative direction and also plays a hands on role as one of two in-house designers responsible for ideation and design of solutions from concept to completion. The Senior Graphic Designer will work closely with copywriters and content experts to deliver design solutions for a portfolio that includes annual conference branding, signage, print and electronic promotional collateral material, sales flyers, brochures, electronic marketing collateral, book jackets, etc. The Senior Graphic Designer should be able to quickly translate brand image into design solutions using appropriate brand standards and voice.
The ideal candidate is a creative, talented design professional with a mastery of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and the other leading design tools for print and digital media. S/he should appreciate and embrace a trend toward electronic media.
The ideal candidate will have a degree in graphic design, digital arts, or similar discipline, significant professional experience, and an impressive design portfolio, and experience leading other members of a creative team. Experience in videography and photography are big pluses.
- Assume lead responsibility for translating the brand into a portfolio of compelling and fresh design templates that are consistent with brand standards and guidelines.
- Define brand design templates and style guides
- Work closely with marketing team to monitor use of brand imagery and ensure they are being used correctly and according to brand standards
- Oversee and facilitate projects from conception, design through production
- Define and manage the creative development of annual conference graphic themes and the roll-out of all associated print and digital collateral.
- Manage the design for all collateral for active membership recruitment campaigns and the promotion of a large portfolio of professional development activity.
- Deliver multiple projects efficiently on concurrent timelines
- Produce artwork and content design for web, social media, and other digital outlets
- Support the marketing team as a team player in all initiatives.
Reporting Relationships and Scope of Supervision
The Senior Graphic Designer reports to the Senior Director of Marketing and works closely with the Senior Director of Production and Marketing Services, a designer, a copywriter, Web Content Director, and an Associate Director of Digital Marketing.
This position requires a high degree of collaboration with NAFSA colleagues. The Senior Graphic Designer is required to be a good listener and synthesizer/interpreter of the needs of internal clients. They should be open to feedback while firmly guiding design direction as it relates to overall brand integrity.
The NAFSA workday is 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. During the summer, it is 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. on Friday. Travel is required on a few occasions each year. Participation in the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. NAFSA is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
NAFSA offers a strong package of benefits to employees, including paid vacation leave, sick leave, and personal leave; medical insurance, with low-cost coverage for dependents; life insurance; retirement savings with employer contribution; and more.