The Center for International Education (CIE) seeks an experienced International Student and Scholar Advisor. Preference will be given to advisors who qualify at the senior level. Applicants who qualify at the advisor level will also be considered for this position. This position reports to the Director of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) unit within CIE. ISSS is part of a team of advisors, support staff, graduate assistants, interns and student employees who assist international students and scholars.
Applications must be submitted through NAU Human Resources at http://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Careers/Applying-Hiring-Information/
Job # 602975
- Maintain working relationships with State Dept and partner institution representatives on immigration requirement and legislative updates and their impacts; Liaise with various university departments and with government agencies, including but not limited to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (including SEVP and USCIS), U.S. Department of State, and U.S. Department of Labor.
- Participate in data integrity for immigration and academic records in the SUNAPSIS interface system between PeopleSoft and SEVIS to ensure data accuracy and compliance
- Stay up to date on knowledge of federal immigration regulations to advise international students and scholars in F-1 and J-1 status on immigration regulations as a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO).
- Make independent decisions when advising on academic support resources, adjustment issues, personal and family concerns, and emergency situations.
- Serve as a resource to students on issues related to cultural, academic, financial, and general adjustment.
- Provide regular contact with students through email and other media, such as Facebook.
- Provide programming experiences, including orientation, cultural excursions, re-entry workshops for new students, provide advisement of the NAU International Club and Ifriends, oversight of the CIE collaborations with FlagFriends, I-House and the Homestay program.
Senior level position:
- Administer Academic Training, Optional Practical Training, Curricular Practical Training and STEM extensions for eligible students.
- Process and submit employment based petitions, including processing and submitting E-3, H-1B and Lawful Permanent Residence petitions.
- Interpret F-1 and J-1 regulations to determine institutional policies and procedures.
- Monitor, supervise, and evaluate the activities of subordinates; mentor new advisors.
- Develop, participate in, and evaluate educational presentations, workshops, programs, and activities related to immigration regulations, cultural adjustment, and intercultural competency.
- Participate in NAU committees as an expert on immigration regulations affecting F-1 and J-1 international students and J-1 exchange visitors.
- Respond adequately in the event of an emergency which might be outside of regularly assigned work shift and take a lead role in crisis management cases in absence of/or as requested by the director.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of International Student and Scholar Services.