Purpose: The Coordinator supports the work of the Conference Program unit through administrative tasks, writing and copyediting content, and ensuring communication of conference offerings through website updates and customer services. The Coordinator also assists with the management of session, poster fair, and other data for NAFSA’s Annual Conference & Expo.
Reports to Associate Director, Conference Program
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is the premier international education association in the United States. Its 10,000 members come from the 50 states and 90 countries. The association is led by a Board of Directors that develops a strategic plan to determine direction and priorities for the association. NAFSA staff work with groups of member leaders to design and implement programs and services.
The Coordinator, Conference Program, works within the Conference Program unit to assist in the organization of content of NAFSA’s annual conference, a week-long event which brings together more than 10,000 educators and service providers from around the world annually in the field of international education.
The Coordinator works closely with the full conference department staff (including the conference logistics team), other NAFSA staff who help plan the conference, and the Annual Conference Committee.
Clear and effective writing and interpersonal communication, including writing for the web and ability to post Web content are key. Ability to quickly learn new software applications and database management is essential as is excellent attention to detail and maintenance of accurate records.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Assist with drafting and copyediting programmatic content for conference-related printed and online materials:
- Ensure that all approved copyedited information is added to appropriate databases and tracking documents.
- Review biographical information for session and poster presenters, ensuring conformity with NAFSA guidelines.
- Create online content for conference web pages.
- Monitor all conference web pages on a weekly basis to ensure that all information is accurate and up-to-date. Update conference web pages using NAFSA CMS and HTML as necessary.
- Coordinate with Web Services, Leadership and Professional Learning Services, Knowledge Community staff liaisons, and logistics team to keep program content updated/current.
- Provide excellent customer service to potential and current NAFSA Annual Conference presenters and attendees.
- Monitor the Conference Program inboxes, answering all general inquiries and providing current or potential presenters and attendees with detailed and helpful responses to their questions.
- Serve as department point-of-contact for any phone inquiries regarding the programmatic aspects of conference or issues related to the NAFSA Annual Conference online proposal system, online program planner and conference app.
- Assist with managing association database for all conference-related events.
- Assist with the export of proposal information and help to create necessary reports for the Annual Conference Committee regarding all submitted proposals (sessions and posters).
- Assist Associate Director and Senior Director with scheduling sessions, open meetings, and Member Interest Group meetings.
- Assist with making edits to presenter information (position title changes, edits to learning objectives, etc.)
- Input new events and information into the system as it becomes available, with strong attention to detail. Ensure that all information is entered into the system in an appropriate manner for display in the online program.
- Perform weekly quality checks during the time period when the online program is live to ensure all data is appearing correctly.
- Pull reports requested by other staff stakeholders and disseminate information in a timely manner.
- Assist with the coordination of presenter quality emails.
- Assist Senior Coordinator with implementation of Higher Education Fair.
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Director, including but not limited to:
- Create and compile materials for use in meetings of the Annual Conference Committee.
- Coordinate the shipment of Conference Program-related items to the conference site, ordering additional materials and ensuring boxes are ready by ship date.
- Attend appropriate conference technology-related meetings, contributing ideas and feedback regarding more efficient ways of using current technology where appropriate.
- Assist with session evaluation process. Help with session room checks, poster fairs, and other events as needed.
- Assist with the distribution of evaluation results post-conference.
- Conduct research on potential conference speakers.
NAFSA values strategic innovation. Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to analyze needs, develop appropriate responses, and manage change are prized. NAFSA maintains 9am-5pm office hours most of the year. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, hours are 8:30am – 5:30pm Monday-Thursday; and 9am – 12pm on Friday. All NAFSA staff are required to work at the annual conference, which will likely include Memorial Day weekend.
NAFSA offers a strong package of benefits to employees, including paid vacation leave, sick leave, and personal leave; medical insurance, retirement savings; and more.
- BA degree (Preferably related to communications or English)
- Skill in Web-based writing and communications
- 2 or more years of experience in administrative work
- Demonstrated ability to keep to a tight timeline and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience with database systems and demonstrated ability to master new software quickly
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex data with high accuracy
- Knowledge of Web development or content management systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience or interest in international education
- Successful experience working with volunteers
Previous meeting planning experience