Reports to: Senior Director, Academic Programs
NAFSA is the largest international education association in the world with more than 10,000 members. Led by a board of directors and driven by a strategic plan, the Washington, DC-based staff works with volunteer member leaders and others in higher education to provide high-priority programs and services for the field of international education.
The Senior Coordinator, Academic Programs facilitates the implementation of projects that grow and support an engaged community of academic professionals. The primary strategic focus is on higher education faculty members, but as Academic Programs work addresses questions of institutional change, we engage administrators and student affairs/international education professionals as well.
The Senior Coordinator provides administrative, logistical and design support for a team that develops and directs high-quality programming on issues related to student learning within international education efforts (defined as global learning). Such programming catalyzes the exchange of ideas and practices related to teaching, learning, assessment, curricular design, and pedagogy and reinforces NAFSA’s reputation as a leading organization exploring the architecture of global learning and the art of global teaching.
The Senior Coordinator reports to the Senior Director of Academic Programs and will work collaboratively with the entire Academic Programs team as well as the Deputy Executive Director.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
The Senior Coordinator will work closely with the Director and Senior Director of Academic Programs to implement a variety of curriculum and faculty development events on global learning, this includes the on-line Architecture for Global Learning series of quarterly events. S/he will:
- Provide administrative and technical support to AP program(s) and events marketed and sold either as packaged or a singular professional development e-learning opportunities.
- Research topics and compile lists of expert speakers and facilitators.
- Maintain lists of prospective invitees and work with the Marketing Department to develop appropriate marketing strategies.
- Conduct targeted outreach to campus Teaching and Learning Centers and to academic departments to align program offerings with emerging interests in field.
- Manage scheduled and live event logistics as well as prepare event support materials.
- Ensure that event materials are made available for sale on NAFSA online store post event.
- Manage the relationship with webinar platform providers, e.g., Blue Sky.
- Work with presenters, partners, and NAFSA colleagues to develop additional resources (publications, web documents, conference sessions, etc.) from these events and activities.
- Support the Senior Director to track and reconcile budgets for the series.
- Gather evidence of participant satisfaction with programs and gauge the extent to which objectives are met; make recommendations for future programming.
- Coordinate Academic Program events and resources with NAFSA Teaching, Learning, and Scholarship Knowledge Community staff, and other knowledge community staff as appropriate.
The Senior Coordinator will also serve as an administrative liaison between Academic Programs and other NAFSA offices for a wider range of departmental activities—especially related to the annual conference:
- Marketing: to ensure that descriptions of academic programs events (Architecture for Global Learning, Podcasts, Global Learning Colloquia, Ron Moffatt Seminar, Special Events such as Peace and Global Civil Society) are accurate and compelling.
- Web Services: to ensure that activities and resources related to academic programs events are accurate and logically situated on NAFSA’s webpages.
- Organizational Advancement: to ensure that all parties understand roles and responsibilities and to manage overall logistics for sponsored academic programs events relationship so that the results are mutually satisfying.
Additionally, the Senior Coordinator will fulfill other duties as assigned, including supporting the Deputy Executive Director in implementing NAFSA Presidents Day and Provosts Summit programming at the Annual Conference.
Scope of Supervision
The Senior Coordinator does not supervise any staff, but will provide work direction to the department coordinator.
The Senior Coordinator maintains a consistent level of excellent customer service to customers, members, leaders, and NAFSA staff. With minimal direction, the Senior Coordinator will exhibit strong time management skills and the ability to handle multiple assignments to meet department deadlines.
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The NAFSA workday is 9-5; during the summer, it is 8:30-5:30 M-Th, and 9:00-12:00 on Friday. The NAFSA annual conference takes place over the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself. Some events may be scheduled over the occasional weekend and evening. Occasional travel is required.
Skills and Background Required
- BA degree and interest in international education/higher education
- 5 years’ minimum experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Experience in project coordination and event planning
- Working knowledge of HTML and web content management systems
- A track record of success working within diverse teams
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Experience designing and facilitating online learning
- Experience in establishing and maintaining partner relationships
- Experience with IMIS or other membership and association management software
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.