The Director of International Programs and Study Abroad is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of UTEP’s global education agenda. This includes the recruitment and success of international students and facilitating student mobility through study abroad experiences (e.g., semester/year long, faculty-led programs). The Director is responsible for oversight of programs and initiatives that promote global citizenship and help students better relate to the world around them, appreciate personal and cultural differences, build professional skills through internships and research, and understand and apply their connection to the global community as well as support international students in meeting their educational goals at the university. In order to be successful, the Director will need to work collaboratively with the Office of the Provost, College/School Deans, the Division of Student Affairs, Enrollment Services and many more offices throughout the University.
- Raise UTEP’s international educational profile by collaborating with the Provost’s Office, Colleges/Schools, Departments, Faculty, and Staff to foster partnerships between UTEP and institutions of higher education, consortiums, and appropriate global agencies that support study abroad/study away experiences.
- Assess effectiveness and impact of global initiatives and recruitment strategies and determine untapped markets and/or experiences that would benefit students studying or conducting research at UTEP and those who desire to study or work abroad.
- In collaboration with the Associate Vice President, engage regularly with partners on and off-campus to market UTEP and increase the number of International students participating in degree-seeking programs at the institution or on-line, as well as participating in internships and research experiences.
- Identify and pursue grants to support the development and maintenance of global education programs.
Study Abroad, Exchange and Faculty-led Programs
- Work collaboratively with faculty, departments, Colleges/Schools and administration including the Faculty Advisory Council for Study Abroad/Faculty-led Programs to assess, evaluate, prioritize, and develop study abroad/study away, high-impact, faculty led experiences, including research and service-learning experiences that align with The UTEP Edge.
- Coordinate the effective implementation of UTEP policies and procedures regarding all aspects of the outgoing and incoming student administrative functions to include risk management and crisis response as well as students' registration for the period(s) they are at UTEP or abroad.
- Coordinate the evaluation and assessment of current program offerings and the development of future UTEP initiatives that relate to the mission and vision of UTEP and the study abroad/study away program.
International Student Recruitment:
- In collaboration with Recruitment, Admissions, and College/School Deans, support undergraduate and graduate recruitment plans to increase international student enrollment, with an emphasis on enrollment of students from Mexico and other countries in Latin America.
- Develop and implement training programs and initiatives for admission counselors, academic advisors, College/School staff, faculty, and others as deemed appropriate on how to effectively work with and support international students and their families.
- Supervise the department’s administration and support of financial assistance programs such as the PASE program (Programa de Asistencia Estudiantil) that allows in-state tuition for Mexican nationals with demonstrated financial need, as well as scholarships available to International Students.
Visa and Immigration Coordination and Oversight:
- Serve as the PDSO (Principal Designated School Official) and RO (Responsible Officer), administering the Department of Homeland Security (DOH) SEVP program for the University to include compliance with federal reporting requirements for international students and exchange visitors using the required federal reporting software systems.
- Serve as the primary resource for information regarding the interpretation and application of Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, and Department of State regulations pertaining to international students and scholars.
Student Advising, Support and Education:
- Assist international students, scholars and those who have studied abroad in the adjustment and integration or reintegration into the UTEP community.
- In collaboration with partners throughout campus, create and implement pre-arrival information and coordinate International Student/Scholar Orientation, on-going educational programs including CPT/OPT information sessions.
- Oversee International Representatives who serve as educational liaisons to schools, local clubs, organizations and businesses.
- Facilitate programs and activities that help all students better understand, appreciate, and relate to the world around them by expanding their cultural awareness and understanding of their connection to the global community and acquiring the skills necessary to be productive citizens in a global community.
- Support the Global Scholars program, a program for students residing on-campus which strives to develop cultural competence through immersive living, co-curricular activities, and personal interaction with faculty, staff, and fellow residents.
Supervision and Staff Development:
- Directly/Indirectly supervise Assistant Directors, International Student and Scholar Advisors, Administrative Support team, Graduate Assistant, Peer Advisors, and Student Assistants.
- Directly responsible for the oversight, training, and compliance related to all Designated School Officials (DSO’s) and Alternate Responsible Officers (ARO’s) and the professional development of those they supervise.