Under the general direction of the Assistant Director of the Center for Global Education, the Global Experiences Coordinator contributes to comprehensive internationalization at the University of Wisconsin Whitewater by assisting UW-Whitewater students with selecting and participating on high-quality global experiences that meet the students’ academic and personal goals for an international experience. The coordinator pays particular attention to developing advising practices and programming that familiarizes students with the motivation, knowledge, strategies, and behaviors that enable one to learn to function effectively in a variety of cultural contexts.
The Coordinator has knowledge of best practice relating to education abroad and assists with strategic selection, management, assessment, and marketing of a diverse menu of programs to complement UW-W’s academic majors including study abroad, exchange, faculty-led, academic internship, partnership, student teaching, and National Student Exchange programs. This individual stays abreast of innovation and trends in international education and utilizes this knowledge to improve student learning outcomes and increase student participation numbers.
The Coordinator may assist faculty and departments with faculty-led program development and oversee the logistical, fiscal, and contractual components of such programs. The position supervises returned education abroad students who serve as peer advisors, and communication, marketing, and IT interns in the Center for Global Education.
The Coordinator of Global Experiences must demonstrate a commitment to inclusive excellence and an affinity for working with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
The Coordinator will be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
Specific responsibilities are delegated between the two (2) Global Experience Coordinators by the Assistant Director annually. In partnership with his/her colleagues the Global Experiences Coordinator:
- Employs best practices to implement all student services associated with global and national off-campus program participation: program selection and application; full circle advising (pre-departure, while away, and re-entry); and course enrollment and credit evaluation.
- Utilizes the Cultural Intelligence (CQ) framework to develop advising practices and pre-departure and re-entry programming designed to encourage students to: develop goals for their abroad experience; utilize proven strategies and decision-making tactics to reach those goals; and improve their capability to function effectively in a variety of cultural contexts.
- Manages both inbound and outbound participation in the National Student Exchange program.
- Works with Financial Aid and outside funding sources to assist students with funding their program, and develops student budgets for programs in accordance with State of Wisconsin policy.
- Administers UW-Whitewater study abroad scholarship and grant application process.
- Develops and refines portions of the CGE risk management plan related to global experience and National Student Exchange participation.
- Enrolls UW-W participants in the U.S. State Department’s Smart Travel Enrollment Program for program duration.
- Collaborates with colleges and academic departments to identify high-quality global experiences that augment or enhance the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater’s curricular programs.
- Manages exchange and program affiliate agreements and relationships, and assists with the development of new affiliations as appropriate.
- May assist faculty and academic departments in the design, implementation, administration, and assessment of new and reoccurring faculty-led programs. May oversee faculty-led program budget development including the bid process, contract negotiations and preparation; invoice and program payments; and course registration and billing. Advises students participating in faculty-led programs.
- Coordinates marketing activities related to global and national experiences, including design and production of posters, flyers, and advertisements; the Global Experiences Fair; the CGE’s social media presence; and campus outreach.
- Ensures compliance with regard to travel services, procurement services, and expenditure of university funds, travel expense reimbursement, and other aspects of program financial management.
- Assists with maintenance of CGE website – particularly the global experiences and parent pages – by supplying text and obtaining student and faculty information, photographs and testimonials.
- Cooperates with colleagues to maintain the TerraDotta on-line education abroad application system.
- Prepares reports relating to global experience and exchange participation for both internal and external use.
- Collaborates with colleagues and students to plan and implement campus-wide events including International Education Week and the Global Café Series
- Supervises student workers, including developing position descriptions, interviewing, hiring, establishing expectations and training, mentoring, and implementing appropriate corrective actions.
The Coordinator of Global Experiences reports to the Assistant Director of the Center for Global Education.