Concordia University Irvine offers a Master of Arts in International Studies China (MAIS China) program that incorporates one-year salaried English teaching positions in Shanghai, Hangzhou, Kunming and their neighboring cities, which are among China’s most important historical, intellectual, cultural and financial centers. Compensation details listed below. You will have three concentrations to choose among: International Business, International Education and International Development. International Education and International Business students will be placed in Shanghai, Hangzhou and the nearby cities. International Development students will be placed in Kunming, in southwest China and will participate in local development projects. International Business students also have the option to do a Mandarin language/internship program in China instead of teaching.
Students take courses during the 1st summer semester on our Irvine campus or can opt to complete those courses online. Afterwards, you head to China and immediately start living, working and studying in China. MAIS China prepares you to work in China, conduct research for your thesis, and negotiate living in a new culture.
As a result, you will have unique opportunities to build personal and business relationships; globalize your professional resume with international experience and expertise; travel to ancient destinations, futuristic metropolises and cultural wonders; discover new interests, passions, and dreams.
China employment benefits:
- Monthly salary (amount dependent upon qualifications and city placement)
- Housing or housing allowance
- Legal work visa in China
- Reimbursement of round-trip ticket from US to China upon successfully completing teaching contract
Program at a glance:
- Academic degree program (Master of Arts International Studies) with Concordia University Irvine
- Concurrent China employment with full benefits (teaching English or teaching a subject of your strength in English)
- Cities: Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Kunming
- Three concentrations to choose among: International Business, International Education and International Development
- Accelerated program: can complete in as little as 18 months (one summer semester in Irvine or online, with the rest of the semesters in China)
- One summer semester on US campus, with the rest of the semesters in China
- Support from our representative office in China
- TESOL certificate awarded after 1st summer term
- No prior Mandarin language skills required (proficient Mandarin-speaking applicants can opt out of Mandarin course and will serve as a teaching assistant)
- Cohort-based program that starts every summer
- Field thesis research in China
- No GRE/GMAT required