UW-Madison is now hiring an advisor in the International Student Services (ISS) office, which is a department in the Division of Student Life (DSL). Reporting to either the Associate Director or an Assistant Director of International Student Services and working in a team environment, Advisors are critical to provide a welcoming and supportive environment for international students at UW-Madison.
A Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s preferred. Two years professional experience in higher education student services or previous experience working with students with F-1 and J-1 visas. U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residence (required for DSO/ARO).
1. Demonstrated knowledge of federal immigration regulations and procedures including experience working with and advising F and J non-immigrant student visa holders.
2. Ability to thrive in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
3. A collaborator who regularly reaches out to others and forms productive partnerships.
4. Student-centered attitude and behaviors.
5. Experience with planning and executing orientation and programming for international students.
6. Attention to detail and organization.
7. Good interpersonal, advising and communication skills.
Student Advising 40%
1. Advise international students, families and the campus community on F-1/J-1 issues and cultural adjustment via individual consultations, phone, workshops and e-mail.
2. Prepare written information for the ISS electronic newsletters and the ISS website.
3. Prepare and deliver workshops for international students on F visa/J visa and other immigration and adjustment related issues.
4. Collaborate with and provide back-up support to the other international student advisors.
Immigration Document Production 35%
1. Provide advice on, review and prepare F-1/J-1 documents to ensure accuracy and consistency with appropriate regulations and procedures.
2. Provide assistance in interpretation of rights and responsibilities, and advice concerning appropriate document requests and changes.
3. Determine eligibility and authorize issuance of immigration documents.
4. Serve as Designated School Official for the UW-Madison F-1 program by determining eligibility, authorizing issuance of immigration documents and signing documents.
5. Serve as Alternative Responsible Officers (ARO) for the J-1 program with authorization to sign J-1.
Departmental Orientation and Programming 20%
1. Oversee one or more specific educational or orientation related programs. Includes responsibility for affiliated student staff and budget.
2. Engage with international student organizations.
3. Assist with publicity and information using publications, website, and social media.
4. Assist students with issues of cultural diversity.
5. Develop partnerships and provide advocacy to educate on international students issues while promoting their contributions to a diverse campus community.
6. Serve as a department contact to internal and external constituencies and committees.
Division of Student Life Responsibilities 5%
1. Assist in advancing the mission, vision and strategic priorities of the division.
2. Actively participate in division work-groups and committees.
3. Other duties as assigned.
Salary: $46,000-$48,000 Annually.
Apply by March 1. http://jobs.hr.wisc.edu/cw/en-us/job/494377/international-student-advisor
This position has an attractive benefits package including: medical, dental, vision coverage, life insurance, a contributory retirement plan, paid vacation and holidays. The preferred but negotiable start date for the position is June 1, 2017.