ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President (International) and the Executive Director International Relations & Recruitment, the Director International Recruitment and Transnational Programs provides leadership to ensure that UAI develops and implements effective strategies and programs to generate best possible recruitment results to quality of students, diversified backgrounds of students, and best possible fit with University of Alberta’s academic profile.
The Director will work closely with faculties to develop international recruitment strategies and transnational programs that best serve academic purposes with the individual faculties whilst the focus of UAI recruitment efforts continue to be with undergraduate recruitment and the expansion of transnational programs such as articulation and joint education programs. UAI will ensure that the University is moving to an integrated approach of all international recruitment as relating to various types of undergraduate, graduate, graduate programs (research-based and course-based), ESL, including bridging programs and short-courses in non-degree programming.
The Director will ensure that UAI and the University more broadly are well informed on relevant trends and developments in the international education market, to make best use of evolving opportunities, including in transnational education. The Director will lead proactive communication in UAI’s relations with faculties and other units in the University to create awareness of opportunities and risks associated with the University’s recruitment efforts at all levels and will thus be the key person in charge of all risk management implications of international recruitment plans and activities at the UA. Working closely with the Registrar’s Office and faculties, this position will ensure best possible collaboration in the interface with international recruitment applications and admission interfaces. The Director will inspire university-wide conversations on international admission standards and best practices of international articulation and joint programs. The Director will work very closely with the Registrar’s Office to lead UA’s contributions of scholarship and bursary programs for international students.
Building on UA’s strong leadership on international recruitment and the presence of international students on our campus, the Director will communicate UA’s expertise and experience within the international education community of Canada and beyond. Please note that national and international travel is required for this position.
Develops the planning and overseeing of implementation of all international graduate and undergraduate recruitment as well as leadership with the University’s broader international recruitment and project acquisition efforts
Responsible for overall integrated planning of international recruitment efforts
- Initiates working relations and close collaboration with faculties and departments to ensure a clear understanding of their recruitment interests, challenges and opportunities by maintaining a deep awareness of faculty/dept. needs, trends and issues
- Provides leadership to developing longer and shorter-term recruitment targets and strategies, ensuring that such targets and strategies are well aligned with overall UA planning, the comprehensive institutional plan and Alberta government directions
- In collaboration with the Office of the Registrar and Student Awards, assumes responsibility for designing best possible mechanisms of scholarship support as an integral part of UA international recruitment strategies.
- Works to integrate international recruitment strategies at all levels with overall international relations strategies
- Leads overall accountability on recruitment success in terms of quantitative goals, diversification goals, and student quality goals
- Sets up systems for ongoing cost-benefit analysis of all international recruitment activities within the University and for ensuring best possible results of international recruitment in terms of academic quality of students as measured in retention rates and graduation success
Leads the development and implementation of transnational education programs
- Acts as the lead expert on transnational education for the University
- Provides leadership in researching best practices in transnational education
- Advocates transnational education with academic stakeholders in faculties
- Works with the Regional Managers to identify and assess potential opportunities
- Work with Regional Managers and faculties to design and develop transnational programs
- Provides leadership and collaboration with other relevant units and stakeholders on the design and development of international pathway and foundation year programming
- Contributes to the development of articulation and transnational education agreements
Leads the management and implementation of all international recruitment services and programming within UAI
- Directs and manages all recruitment related staff
- Designs integrated international recruitment plans for any relevant cohorts (specific academic programs, specific faculties, and specific student levels)
- Designs, oversees, implements and evaluates all recruitment mechanisms such as international recruitment travel, design of marketing materials for international recruitment, internet and social-media-based international recruitment strategy, use of alumni in international recruitment, etc.
- Allocates resources to specific targets and ensures reliable and effective resource management
- Develops and leads all UAI specific mechanisms for accountability to regard to international recruitment activities
- Uses sound data and analytics to measure and guide successful recruitment strategies and initiatives
Leads the management of agent relations, contracts and performance metrics
- Leads the overall development and implementation of an agent strategy that supports the diversified recruitment strategy, and is aligned with overall UA goals
- Manages agent’s contracts, including negotiating, developing and monitoring
- Develops and implements the agent training strategy to ensure that agents can appropriately represent UA in all selected recruitment markets
- Manages agent performance issues as they arise, working closely with agents to find a resolution.
- Assesses the viability of agent contracts relating to performance metrics
- Tracks success rates over the short-term and long-term and provide regular reports to the VP, ED and other stakeholders throughout the year
Overall international recruitment and transnational education strategy
- Initiates and leads University-wide conversations on integration of international recruitment and transnational education activities
- Ensures unified brand identity across all international recruitment and transnational education activities
- Ensures best possible use of synergies between various sectors of international recruitment (undergraduate, graduate, ESL, non-credit programming, pathways and articulations, etc.)
- Researches and develops a campus-wide model for international recruitment and transnational education to lead the discussion at UA for future excellence (i.e. including researching best practices)
- Champions UA as a leader in internet-based and social-media recruitment
- Establishes metrics for results-based recruitment evaluation, i.e. ensuring that all other recruitment efforts are being analyzed in light of their respective impact compared to internet and social-media based recruitment