General purpose: The Assistant Director advises international students and scholars, coordinates institutional immigration compliance, and assists with the administrative and operational functions of the Office of International Education.
Summary of Essential Functions:
• Primary contact person and advisor for F-1 and J-1 international students or scholars.
• Update and maintain Department of Homeland Security’s SEVIS system operations for current F-1 or J-1 students and coordinate institutional compliance.
• Manage international student orientation sessions each semester.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Advise F-1 and J-1 international students one-on-one & in groups about all matters pertaining to F1 or J-1 status, including Optional Practical Training, Curricular Practical Training, Severe Economic Hardship, internships, transfers, leaves of absence, and program extensions.
• Work with faculty to process and host J-1 professors and scholars by providing immigration advising.
• Coordinate and maintain college compliance with SEVIS regulations.
• Create and coordinate programming for international student orientation sessions including topics such as, cultural adjustment, F-1& J-1 regulations, employment, taxes, etc.
• Help develop procedures and policies to ensure international students enjoy the full range of benefits associated with F1 status.
• Develop and conduct programs/workshops collaboratively with other key campus offices/divisions to support MICA’s strategic internationalization goals and international student success.
• Anticipate and prevent problems impacting international student satisfaction, legal status, and F-1 or J-1 benefits, in order to retain students.
• Maintain accurate records of student enrollment/ arrival-departure/ retention/ etc.
• Create and maintain web and print resources for international students, including handbooks, informational handouts, and webinars, etc.
• Serves as a liaison between MICA academic departments and offices (i.e. Student Affairs, Diversity and Intercultural Development, Admissions, etc.) regarding work flow of International Education, student issues, and resolving procedure problems if they arise
• Participate in committees as needed regarding technology needs/improvements, batch processing, and campus programming
• Design and administer international student/office assessment tools and resources
• Assist Director with strategic vision and management of office, as well as crisis management for F-1 and J-1 students
• Perform other related duties as assigned