Updated: April 17, 2017
The Membership Director leads NAFSA’s efforts to acquire and retain members, and builds robust systems for identifying and successfully encouraging engagement in NAFSA programs and activities within the global higher education marketplace. The incumbent also manages NAFSA’s Career Center aimed at providing job posting services and a career development and mentoring program at the NAFSA annual conference. S/he is also responsible for developing and managing a career professional development program for members that is deployed throughout the year.
In this crucial position, the incumbent is responsible for identifying and deepening the value proposition for membership in NAFSA and for working with many other senior managers to improve responsiveness to member needs. The incumbent is responsible for planning and executing the recruitment of international educators mainly in the United States but also from more than 100 countries. The incumbent will identify and implement value-added revenue generating opportunities and will constantly monitor member satisfaction through a variety of qualitative and quantitative measures. In this regard, the incumbent will work closely with NAFSA’s data analytics unit to mine NAFSA’s data warehouse for trends and membership enhancing opportunities.
Recognizing that membership value is tied to many products, services, and experiences offered by NAFSA, the incumbent will work in a highly collaborative organization providing support to, and building partnerships with, other senior managers and externally. The position will be an active member of a membership strategy group that helps define and execute against a rolling, transparent membership strategy.
S/he exercises a high level of leadership, ingenuity, and independence in planning and overseeing systems and processes to benefit the association’s membership efforts. S/he collaborates closely with NAFSA Marketing and Strategic Communications departments in the design, development, and roll-out of NAFSA’s strategic membership acquisition initiatives. S/he sets standards and implements systems to ensure effective membership services and establishes and implements outreach and service objectives.
The incumbent works across departments to improve the experience of association customers and members and leverage and translate the many products, services and supports into strategic member benefits. S/he works closely with key personnel tasked with managing data and data analytics to create outreach strategy, collect and analyze market data, and evaluate outreach efforts in ways that are realistic and operationally achievable within resource constraints.
This position works cooperatively and in a collegial manner within the larger Communications and Advancement department team which is made up of 31 association professionals. This position manages two full-time staff.
- Meets and exceeds established annual membership recruitment goals.
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Strategic Communications departments, develops annual strategies, policies, and tactical plans focused on member acquisition and retention. Develops strategic member and non-member outreach and engagement messaging that leverages the core assets and added value in all product and service delivery departments. Strategically translates these products, services and supports into strategic member benefits.
- Develop, design, and manage systems to track market penetration, customer service impact, member/non-member engagement and/or membership trends, and identify and analyze market factors and trends outside of the association affecting success in member recruitment and servicing.
- Work closely with NAFSA’s data analytics team to collect, synthesize and analyze key data sources and trends in ways that point to business solutions that aid member recruitment and retention.
- Plan, develop and manage a multifaceted Career Center that includes a job registry that yields substantial non-dues revenue annually. In addition, develop a dynamic program of activities for NAFSA Career Center at the annual conference annually. Programming includes career-focused presentations, workshops, and mentoring and resume review activity.
- Provide timely and effective resolution to member issues and advise senior management on full range of member-related matters. Leads and manages front-line customer service functions including the front desk and telephone inquiries. Troubleshoots as necessary and provides high level problem solving.
- Collaborate with the marketing team to appropriately reflect the importance of membership at the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo and, more specifically, in the NAFSA pavilion on the Expo floor.
- Provide orientations and tours for outside country delegations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Deputy Executive Director.
Background and Skills:
- Master’s degree or other appropriate advanced degree preferred.
- Substantial non-profit management experience with progressive responsibility, including at least five years in membership association management.
- Experience in association membership marketing and outreach.
- Demonstrated skill in working with a strategy team to develop strategic marketing campaigns and experience in collaborating across department lines to achieve strategic outcomes.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial skill and creativity.
- Demonstrated success in designing member acquisition/retention initiatives and building membership over time.
- A capacity to persuasively promote the benefits of NAFSA membership and the important of being actively engaged in the life of the organization.
- A thorough understanding of the dynamics of volunteer management and leadership development.
- Demonstrated success in designing and managing systems to track market penetration and engagement trends.
- Prior experience in designing and managing association career center activity including the development of programming, management of job registries, and training.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading cross-departmental work teams.
- Skill in supervising and mentoring a diverse staff.
- Ability to develop and manage complex departmental budgets.
- Exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with membership databases and/or association management systems (iMIS preferred).
- Experience in Web-based communication including the ability to leverage social media.
Working Conditions The association values strategic innovation. Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to analyze needs, develop appropriate responses, and manage change are prized. NAFSA maintains 9-5 office hours for most of the year. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, hours are 8:30-5:30 Monday-Thursday, and 9-12 noon on Friday. All NAFSA staff are required to work at the annual conference, which will likely include the Memorial Day weekend.
Benefits NAFSA offers a strong package of benefits to employees, including paid vacation leave, sick leave, and personal leave; medical insurance, with low-cost coverage for dependents; life insurance; retirement savings with employer contribution; and more.
Background NAFSA: Association of International Educators is the leading not-for-profit professional association in the field of international education and exchange. NAFSA, with 10,000 members, is an association advancing international education and exchange and global workforce development. Its members come from the 50 states and 140 other countries. The association is led by a Board of Directors who develops a strategic plan that sets priorities.
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.