Outreach & Communications Coordinator
The Communications Coordinator for Study Abroad & Global Engagement (SAGE) is responsible for the development and implementation of a strategic marketing plan to increase KU student participation in SAGE programs, including the Global Awareness Program, Global Scholars, and education abroad. This position oversees the SAGE Info Center and supervises 5-7 student Peer Advisors and one student graphic designer. Emphases include student recruitment; first-step student advising; advertising and promotion of approximately 150 education abroad programs through print brochures, public presentations, and online content; management of www.studyabroad.ku.edu; management of social media accounts; and collaboration with both on-campus and off-campus organizations to develop and implement innovative student programs in support of international engagement.
Recruitment and Promotions (40%)
- Develop and implement a comprehensive annual outreach and communications plan for SAGE.
- Represent SAGE at all student-oriented events hosted internally and by external partner organizations (includes occasional evenings/weekends and events at off-campus locations).
- Regularly present on SAGE programs to campus constituencies.
- Provide direction and oversee development of print materials for each SAGE program, including approximately 150 education abroad programs, GAP, Global Scholars and Study Abroad in the Major materials.
- Plan, write, and edit content for various annual publications to prospective and current students and families and program alumni.
- Coordinate and promote SAGE events, including three signature events annually.
- Assist with media relations, including responding to periodic requests for interviews.
- Lead social media strategies and messaging to highlight SAGE program participants, scholarship awardees, news, stories, and events and to successfully engage diverse audiences.
- Manage and maintain SAGE events calendar.
- Develop and manage first-point-of-contact system for prospective study abroad students.
- Hire, train, supervise, develop and evaluate 5-7 student employees.
- Manage staffing of the SAGE Info Center and concurrently scheduled campus events/activities. Supervise day-to-day operations of the Info Center and serve as back-up advisor during periods of high traffic.
- Maintain Info Center’s comprehensive materials on KU and affiliated education abroad programs.
- Coordinate email communications with prospective and current study abroad students. Oversee management of the firstname.lastname@example.org email account.
- Design and produce student advising materials, including the pre-departure student guide and the returnee handbook.
- Support SAGE pre-departure and returnee orientation through the development of materials, surveys, presentations, and breakout sessions.
Website Management (20%)
- Manage overall function, content, and user experience of studyabroad.ku.edu.
- Collaborate with IT, KU Web Services, and KU International Affairs to keep studyabroad.ku.edu aligned with brand standards.
- Collaborate with the SAGE staff to develop and update website content as needed to ensure consistent, current information is available to students, parents, the KU community, and program alumni.
Liaison to KU Units & External Partners / Other Duties (10%)
- Serve as the primary SAGE liaison to multiple campus units, U.S. partner institutions, off-campus organizations, and study abroad program providers.
- Serve as a key member of an internationally focused campus programming team and associated planning committees. Collaborate and develop events and programs in collaboration with KU International Affairs’ units, the Institute for International & Global Engagement (IIGE), Global Business Studies (GBS), KU’s five Area Studies Centers, and others.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing Communications or relevant field PLUS minimum of one (1) year related professional experience in journalism, strategic communication, marketing, public relations, or related field.
- Strong written communication skills as evidenced by application materials and two (2) writing samples.
- Prior experience managing web content or social media for an organization, including content creation and analytics.
- Experience studying, living, or working abroad.
- Professional experience in higher education or education abroad administration.
- Strong computer skills, preferably with experience in Microsoft Office and using Adobe Creative Suite – especially Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro and/or Illustrator – for creating graphics and video.
- Experience with Drupal content management system.
- Graphic design, print publishing, and web publishing skills.
- Supervisory experience.
- Student advising experience.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
KU is an EO/AAE. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, genetic information or protected Veteran status.