Associate Director, Regional Affairs
Position Summary: Reporting to the Director, Regional Affairs, the Associate Director is responsible for implementing a comprehensive structure of support in partnership with the Director, for 11 regional teams. This includes communication, event and activity planning, and logistics and technical support for all regional activities – most notably the 11 annual conferences led by the regional teams.
The Regional Affairs team is responsible for the facilitation of regional leader training at critical junctures throughout the year. The Associate Director will support the Director to this end. This position engages daily with the regional teams to ensure high-level support and guidance to NAFSA volunteer leaders throughout the United States. This position provides technical support to regions throughout the year, in close consultation and collaboration with NAFSA’s technology solutions team. In coordination with the Director, this position also provides innovative ideas to drive engagement of NAFSA’s regions beyond their conferences. The Associate Director serves as a staff partner to regional cohorts and their respective coaches. This position also represents NAFSA at various events (in-person and virtually), as needed.
Major Functions and Responsibilities:
Work collaboratively with Director on strategic planning of engaging NAFSA regions annually:
- Oversee yearly planning calendar of deliverables for regional leaders and ensure frequent updates via the Program Manager.
- Support group of national coaches and Chairs on coaching concepts, processes, and best practices; Evaluate and assess coach experience and implement improvements.
- Work with Director to create trainings and engagements that provide leadership inspiration as well as practical tools to support their work as volunteer leaders.
- Drive strategic engagement of NAFSA regions in areas beyond their annual conferences.
- Explore innovative methods of correlation between NAFSA regions and DC to support membership conversion, retention, renewals, and outreach.
- Work directly with membership and marketing team to explore regional engagement via social media, as well as the potential for revenue sharing between regional components and NAFSA to support membership conversion and renewals.
Serve as staff liaison for regional executive teams, cohorts, and other regional volunteer leaders: (25%)
- Collaborate with relevant leaders and internal staff to coach regional executive teams on key annual planning activities, including guidance on deadlines, deliverables, and work plans. (Regional Executive Team consists of chair stream, treasurers, and regional conference planners.)
- Collaborate with Director and other relevant internal staff to ensure Regional Affairs’ training and skills development is focused and strategic.
- Schedule monthly remote web meetings for regional executive teams, with strong reliance and support from regional cohort coaches.
- Maintain close working relationships with key internal NAFSA colleagues to ensure NAFSA-wide deadlines and priorities are shared with regional leaders and their teams.
- Oversee weekly communication with regional executive teams to support them in staying on task and within the designated annual conference planning period.
Develop training and provide high-touch support to regional leaders throughout the year:
- Work collaboratively with Director on training vision and strategy for key periods throughout the year: WLM, Spring Meetings, Annual Conference, Summer Coordination Meeting, Regional Conferences, End of Year Recognition and Celebration(s).
- Serve as staff partner for 2-3 regional leader cohorts.
- In coordination with event technology team, coordinate training on event management system and registration system (e.g., Cadmium and Experient) and troubleshoot as necessary.
- Assist in the development, testing, and maintenance of conference program management and expo sales systems for regional events, and local events, where permitted.
- Work with Program Manager to ensure cross-training on these critical components.
Ensure and report on regional compliance regarding association policies and initiatives
- In close collaboration with the accounting team and Program Manager, ensure adequate insurance waivers are obtained for certain regional (and local) events and activities.
- In consultation with technology solutions, oversee education and training of NAFSA’S policies and compliance protocols for meeting data privacy, ADA and other compliance requirements.
Manage Hotel/Location Sourcing Process for Regional Conferences and Events. (5%)
- In coordination with Director and Program Manager, ensure all aspects of hotel/location sourcing process are executed with accuracy and compliance of NAFSA regulations.
- Liaise and communicate with all relevant parties.
Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Director and Deputy Executive Director. (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum three (3) years of work experience in a related field
- Knowledge of and experience in the international education field
- Experience with program and project management
- Experience coordinating volunteer groups or components
- Demonstrated ability to plan, take initiative, set priorities, and exercise sound judgment in a complex, fast-moving environment
- A track record of excellent customer relations support using a variety of communication mediums and platforms
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems, including databases
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, including web-based applications and presentation delivery
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Previous experience with NAFSA or other association membership or nonprofit organization
- Experience with association chapters or similar structures
- Exposure to or experience in volunteer engagement and activities
Scope of Supervision
The position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org