The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the "Trojan Family," which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
USC's Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts & Sciences Office of Advising is seeking a Student Services Advisor I to join its team. Specifically this position will provide academic advising to undergraduate students majoring and minoring in the natural sciences.
In their advising role, the Student Services Advisor I is committed to the overall success of assigned undergraduate students. Specifically the Student Services Advisor I helps students understand degree requirements; develop, cultivate, and transform academic goals and educational plans; understand academic policies and procedures; select majors and minors; explore curricular and co-curricular opportunities (i.e., research, study abroad, service learning, etc.); integrate career development opportunities, address concerns and challenges that impact academic success; connect with faculty members and university resources.
Duties for this position may include:
- Provide academic advising for undergraduate students. Specifically advise students on degree requirements, curriculum, course selection, transfer credit evaluation, and degree related opportunities (i.e. research, study abroad, internships, etc.).
- Aide in the retention and graduation of major students through effective advisement practices.
- Monitor student performance, degree progress, and records.
- Prepare course plans (semester and yearly).
- Evaluate student problems (academic, personal, or administrative) and refer students to the appropriate student support services.
- Stay abreast on major curriculum, course offerings, and department related opportunities
- Work with at-risk students.
- Provide departmental related reports pertaining to retention and graduation.
- Maintain knowledge on university related policies and procedures pertaining to curriculum, transfer credit, degree requirements, course evaluations, petitions, and other student services
- Support and coordinate various academic and co-curricular programs.
- Represent department at all new student related events, including departmental welcome events and new student orientation.
- Participate in occasional Dornsife Admission programs, such as scholarship interviews, admitted student and welcome events.
- Attend departmental meetings.
- Develop and maintain relationships with departmental faculty and administration.
- Interface with parents as needed and provide resources to facilitate problem resolution.
- Maintain professional knowledge through participation in associations, committees, workshops, and other means of networking.
- Other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves to the right to add or change duties at any time.
Required Documents and Additional Information:
- Resume and cover letter required (may be uploaded as one file). Please do not submit your application without these documents.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) five business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
Salary range: $28.44 - $31.79 per hour - will commensurate with experience and additional skills.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
Minimum Experience: 1 year
Minimum Field of Expertise: Student program or services experience
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Read USC's Clery Act Annual Security Report
Notice on Non-Discrimination
Certain positions are subject to background screening
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination
USC is an E-Verify Employer
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: