Location: Bowling Green, KY Category: Staff Posted On: Wed Aug 24 2022 Job Description:
The Coordinator, Military Student Services is a twelve-month appointment that reports to the Director of Military Student Services. The WKU office of Military Student Services serves as an initial entry point for military affiliated incoming students, connecting them to necessary student services and university offices to facilitate admissions, registration, financial assistance and other student service processes. In addition, this position serves as a critical point of contact for military Tuition Assistance (TA) portals.
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all- inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Ensure compliance with DoD Memorandum of Understanding, military education portals, Letter of Intent, and State and Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) regulations
- Assist the Director as needed in providing leadership to Military Student Services as it is integrated across the University, including the Regional Campuses
- Serve as entry point of contact into WKU for service members, veterans, and their dependents through facilitation and education of university offices and services that students must navigate to be successfully enrolled (e.g. admissions, financial aid, etc.)
- Coordinate key processes within TA portals and assist students in using TA
- Provide student support for military connected students from the point of inquiry through graduation
- Collaborate with other areas of WKU that are key in processing student actions such as Admissions, Registrar, Financial Aid, Billings, etc.
- Provide career counseling and program choice advising for military connected students
- Conduct outreach both internally and externally to promote awareness of WKU resources and academic programs
- Attend WKU orientation and outreach events like, TOP, Head for the Hill, etc.
- Attend education fairs on military installations
- Participate in veteran events in the community and maintaining membership in veteran organizations
- Utilize social media and email to provide outreach and recruiting
- Develop and coordinate recruiting and orientation events and activities for this population to include developing and following leads generated through WKU Admissions, WKU-Fort Knox, or through other sources
- Oversee the WKU Textbooks for Troops book lending program
- Serve as staff advisor and mentor to military student organizations such as the Student Veterans Alliance and WKU Salute
Conduct other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three years of experience working with military affiliated students in higher education
- Ability to travel on day and overnight trips for recruiting purposes including visits to military installations
- General understanding of the military Tuition Assistance portals and of military culture, benefits and processes, such as Veteran Education Benefits and Tuition Assistance.
- General understanding of higher education admissions processes, registration, financial aid, and degree planning
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including writing and speaking
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability to establish priorities and work independently
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately
- Ability to handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
Hourly Range: $17.44 - $20.51/hr
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is committed to a policy and practice of providing equal employment and educational opportunities to all individuals. In accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, no form of discrimination or harassment will be tolerated at WKU on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services (EEO). To request an accommodation, report/express a complaint, or ask questions regarding WKU''s Discrimination and Harassment Policy (#0.2040), please contact Mr. Joshua Hayes, EEO Director/Title IX Investigator/University ADA Coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (270) 745-5121.
The University is also required to investigate complaints of sex and gender-based harassment, also a form of discrimination, and has designated the Title IX Coordinator as the individual responsible for coordinating the investigation and response to such complaints. The Title IX Coordinator for the University is Ms. Ena Demir, who can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by phone at (270) 745-6867. Additional information regarding Title IX is accessible via WKU's https://www.wku.edu/titleix/ website.
Information concerning educational programs offered by WKU are provided at: http://www.wku.edu/atwku/academics.php