University Relations Manager – Southeastern United States
Position Title: University Relations Manager – Southeastern United States
Department: Member Relations
Reports To: Director of Member Relations
FSLA Status: Exempt
Location: Arlington, VA or Remote position based in one of the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Oklahoma, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, or West Virginia
Date: August, 2022
The University Relations Manager is responsible for working with ISEP member institutions to increase student mobility on both ISEP Exchange and Direct study abroad programs. The University Relations Manager serves as the primary point of contact for coordinators and other contacts at institutions in their designated region and works closely with member institutions to uphold ISEP membership standards and ensure quality program delivery.
The University Relations Manager is also responsible for generating interest and recruiting for maximum participation in ISEP study abroad programs. The position focuses on promoting ISEP brand awareness with student organizations, international office staff, and career services staff on campuses with high potential for participation in ISEP programs.
External: ISEP Coordinators and other contacts at member institutions.
Internal: Vice President for Member Relations, Member Relations Directors, Director of Enrollment Management, Student Services Officers, Program Assistant, and Marketing Team.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as primary point of contact for ISEP Coordinators from members in designated regions regarding student recruitment and issues that affect membership standards. Is responsible for ensuring successful program delivery and development
- Develops initial mobility plan with institution and provides initial coordinator training and mentoring, plus continuing re-education on ISEP processes
- In coordination with regional Director, develops and implements a student recruitment strategy for institutions within a specified portfolio to meet defined participant numbers and revenue targets
- Visits institutions, hosts ongoing webinars and other virtual engagement, attends study abroad fairs and other events. During campus visits and events, the URM will provide one-on-one or group advising for students.
- Manage and lead regional team meetings while providing training and guidance for student-facing staff for designated areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for initiatives to strengthen program delivery and student satisfaction, in collaboration with Student Services Officers
- Works strategically with member universities on student recruitment through international programs office, faculty, career services, and other administrative staff (registrar, student services, housing, etc.); determines student nomination numbers in collaboration with coordinator semi-annually
- Regularly reports on engagement at institutions within region and provides periodic progress reports on meeting goals and targets. Analyzes collected data from CRM and other sources to determine trends and inform regional strategy
- Ensures member familiarity with and adherence to ISEP health and safety protocols and develops regional health and safety plans. Responds to health and safety emergencies in the designated regions, when escalated, by facilitating communications among all stakeholders and working with partners to resolve issues
- Monitors adherence to and addresses violations of ISEP membership standards and escalates to Director when necessary; identifies program concerns and proposes solutions
- Accountable for member satisfaction levels. Analyzes member satisfaction survey scores and follows up to resolve any identified issues
- Develops, in consultation with the ISEP Direct Program Task Force, a proposal for any new programs for review
OTHER RECURRING DUTIES
- Collects, reviews, and edits membership profile and manages program information in ISEP’s association management system, AMS, and on the website, including semi-annual review of chances of placement
- Develops advising and promotional tools in conjunction with Communications & Marketing Department for coordinators based on knowledge of network needs and promotes the ISEP brand to the campus community via social media and on-campus collateral presence and activities
- Provides feedback to Communications & Marketing Department to ensure that messages and collateral are meeting student needs and to inform promotional campaigns
- Creates and maintains internal member profiles, tracking campus-specific international mobility trends, program portfolios and student groups
- Identifies opportunities for increasing mobility from traditionally underserved identities in study abroad, with particular emphasis on supporting ISEP’s many MSI’s and HBCU’s in the region
- Conducts site visits to new and current ISEP member institutions, attends regional member meetings and participates in and presents at conferences and events
- Based on analysis of data and trends as well as program knowledge, supports regional Director and Director of Program Development in cost agreement and fee-setting process
- Leads special projects related to departmental and organizational initiatives, including evaluating current internal and external policies and procedures. Participates in institutional task forces.
- Participates in the Emergency Phone Rotation, which may involve working outside ISEP’s standard office hours
The position involves travel to current and prospective members to reinforce the ISEP brand, monitor institutional adherence to membership standards, develop regional health and safety plans, establish strong working relations with member institutions and recruit students for ISEP study abroad programs. Additionally, the University Relations Manager represents ISEP at local and industry meetings and conferences to build ISEP brand awareness with relevant parties. Travel for the position is seasonal in nature, and may constitute 20-80% of work time, depending on the time of the year.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-4 years of work experience in international higher education, international programs management, or related areas
- Travel, study and/or work experience abroad
- Knowledge and experience working with cultures and higher education institutions outside of the United States and an understanding of the U.S. higher education system
- Excellent cross-cultural communication, verbal and written communication, strong customer service and student relations skills
- Proven record of effective engagement with stakeholders at all university administration levels
- Understanding of strategic student recruitment and implementation
- Ability to define and conduct market research, and to collect and interpret data to inform program development
- Understanding of how to effectively market an organization’s brand with pertinent populations
- High proficiency in the use of social media in a professional context
- Ability to travel up to 20% to 80% of the time, depending on seasonal demand, including overnight travel and other more extensive trips. Willingness to work non-traditional hours and experience organizing and hosting student events
DESIRED ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree preferred
- Experience with advising and/or counseling
- Experience with program improvement incorporating the needs of diverse stakeholders
- Experience using a CRM and AMS platform
- Commitment to education and personal belief in the power of bilingualism, cultural competency, global citizenship and how study abroad is integral to achieving these objectives