The Director of Academic Programs Abroad is a critical member of the Office of International Programs at Louisiana State University. LSU seeks to further elevate education abroad opportunities for its large undergraduate population, including international students. The Director leads APA with strategic and collaborative initiatives on campus and throughout the university community. The Director is expected to be a change agent, creating and capitalizing on opportunities to develop study abroad in strategic alignment with the University’s goals. By contributing to global strategy initiatives and cultivating relationships with faculty, the Director promotes a culture of global citizenship and learning. The Director is responsible for building a successful framework for study abroad programming and risk management. In this very important role, you will be charged with inspiring and enabling positive change at every level of education abroad scholarship. LSU’s study abroad goals and aspirations will require a transformational leader with a sharp vision and the ability to build collaborative partnerships and networks on campus and beyond. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is student-centered and appreciates global learning for all students as an existential need in higher education. The Director provides outstanding leadership to a team of three professionals and reports to the Senior Internationalization Officer and Executive Director of International Programs.
- Work with campus leadership and stakeholders to establish and maintain a clear vision and direction for the Academic Programs Abroad staff members and the university.
- Design and implement a strategy that aligns education abroad opportunities with faculty and student needs.
- Develop, review and enhance policies, processes and technology systems such as Terra Dotta or industry-standard software to efficiently support education abroad opportunities for the undergraduate population.
- In collaboration with APA staff and faculty members, take the lead on developing, managing effective recruitment, education abroad advising and application processes.
- Work closely and effectively with the LSU budget and accounting units to ensure study abroad operations are in line with the university’s financial protocols.
- Plan and manage budgets to ensure long-term sustainability, balancing revenue generating programs with institutional priorities.
- Work closely with the LSU institutional Research department and external entities on assessments and evaluations of study abroad programs’ impact and learning outcomes.
- Build collaborations and strong relationships with academic departments and faculty for the purposes of education abroad effectiveness and participation.
- Assist in the development of strategic agreements with universities abroad and program providers to increase overseas education opportunities for the undergraduate population.
- Represent APA and International Programs in on-campus forums and university committees pertaining to undergraduate education
Risk Management (25%)
- Take the lead on creating a risk management team pertaining to emergencies and international incidents.
- Collaborate with the Office of the General Counsel and the Office of Risk Management and create a campus-wide risk management framework serving the education abroad community of students, faculty, and parents.
- Review and revamp pre-departure orientation for students and faculty members involved in short-term and long-term study abroad trips.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory framework affecting study abroad such as Title IX and Clery laws.
Education Abroad Advising (20%)
- Evaluate the current education abroad advising model and design/implement advising strategies in collaboration with the academic colleges.
- Review and revamp APA’s student engagement practices and outreach pertaining to all aspects of the education abroad process, including orientation for students as well as faculty members and parents.
- Review and re-brand communications practices with students, families and campus partners to better integrate curricular and career goals.
- Work closely with the Study Abroad Action Group (SAAG) to enhance and increase faculty-led education abroad opportunities on campus.
Professional development/Marketing (10%)
- Fully engage in professional development opportunities in order to ensure the application of study abroad best practices on the LSU campus; Look out for leadership opportunities with the Forum on Education Abroad, the Association of International Education, Diversity Abroad, etc.
- Effectively represent LSU at national and international venues for study abroad programming to better raise the institutions’ global profile.
- In collaboration with the IP communications specialist, aim to enhance APA’s communication platforms and strategies to better represent the offerings of the unit with faculty, students and families.
- Work with the LSU Alumni Association and the LSU Foundation to advocate for funding that supports students’ education abroad goals.
- Collaborate with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to recruit underrepresented, diverse, and low-income students for study abroad.
Other duties as assigned. (5%)
Bachelor's degree with 7+ years of experience.
Specific Experience : In-depth understanding of the scholarship and practice of study abroad; Experience leading, managing, and developing staff effectively; Proven track record of collaborating with faculty and campus partners on projects impacting students; Excellent knowledge of risk management practices and the regulatory/compliance environment at a university setting or in education abroad programming; Solid analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills.
Master's Degree with 5+ years of experience.
Specific Experience: Experience in strategic planning; Experience with budgets and financial planning; Previous experience with technology functions of an office interfacing directly with study abroad programming such as Terra Dotta or industry-standard software; Proven experience in developing professional staff members; Experience working in a large and complex research university such as LSU
Additional Job Description:
Please provide cover letter, resume and (3) professional references including name, title, phone number and e-mail address.
A copy of your transcript(s) may be attached to your application. However, official transcripts are required prior to hire.
Attach ALL required documents under the "Resume/CV" section of your application.
September 2, 2022
Closing Date (Open Until Filled if No Date Specified):
Additional Position Information:
Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
Essential Position (Y/N):
LSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
LSU believes diversity, equity, and inclusion enrich the educational experience of our students, faculty, and staff, and are necessary to prepare all people to thrive personally and professionally in a global society. We celebrate diversity and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion. We actively seek and encourage qualified applications from persons with diverse backgrounds, cultures and experiences. To learn more about how LSU is committed to diversity and inclusivity, please see LSU’s Diversity Statement and Roadmap. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact the Office of Human Resource Management (email@example.com).
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed HR@lsu.edu