Heralded as a hub of undergraduate innovation, the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) creates and sustains meaningful interactions between students and faculty both within and outside the classroom. As a collaborative team member of VPUE, you have a unique opportunity to advance and support programs that touch and enhance the lives of every undergraduate student at Stanford.
The Bing Overseas Studies Program (BOSP) is seeking a Student Services Manager who will oversee the daily delivery of student services including: advising, outreach and publicity, admissions and enrollment management, student preparation and support, visa support, and data collection and reporting. The person in this role must identify, clarify, and resolve complex and substantial issues using advanced technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment. The Student Services Manager participates in long range strategic planning to develop and improve the delivery of student services related to overseas studies. This position has significant supervisory responsibilities for approximately three employees, including balancing staff workload, hiring, performance management, professional development and transition planning of staff. The Student Services Manager also has budgetary responsibility primarily in the area of outreach activities.
The Bing Overseas Studies Program (BOSP) offers Stanford undergraduates the opportunity to study abroad while remaining enrolled at Stanford and is considered an integral part of the Stanford curriculum. The demographic breakdown of BOSP participants closely mirrors that of the entire Stanford population. Approximately 50 percent of each graduating class studies abroad on a BOSP program during their undergraduate career at Stanford.
Due to the high visibility of our programs and diverse cultural environments, BOSP places a high value on professionalism, teamwork, outstanding student services support, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Manage a team of Program Advisors and provide oversight of Student Ambassador program.
- Manage the work of other employees, make hiring decisions, provide onboarding, coaching and mentoring, and manage performance and staffing levels.
- Resolve program issues and concerns according to established policies and procedures, and mediate complex and sensitive issues.
- Oversee BOSP student application and enrollment management processes, communications, records, and databases.
- Implement BOSP initiatives and campaigns; assist in long range planning and policy development for BOSP.
- Partner with VPUE Information Technology team and external entities (e.g. application system) to integrate the use of technology to enhance effectiveness, compliance, and business processes (e.g. student application process, BOSP website, overseas center support, and outreach).
- Manage student support and pre-departure planning in coordination with external and internal partners including: BOSP global centers, Global Risk Management, Academic Advising, Dean of Students Office, Haas Center for Public Service, academic departments and programs, Housing and Residential Services, Vaden Health Center and Counseling and Psychological Services, Office of Accessible Education, and the Diversity and Access Office.
- Interpret, implement and ensure compliance with university, academic and administrative policies within an organization or program. Recommend new internal policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Respond to inquiries regarding university policies and procedures requiring interpretation; provide recommendations for correction.
- Contribute to developing and analyzing the review and assessment process for BOSP offerings, policies and programs.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience. Advanced degree in International Education strongly desired. Experience in higher education setting preferred.
- User knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and all levels of management.
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic management experience highly desired.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Basic budgeting experience preferred.
- Ability to learn and understand compliance regulations (i.e. legal, financial, internal and external).
- -Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
In addition, preferred qualifications include:
- Ability to accomplish goals working through formal and informal channels, with diplomacy and tactfulness.
- Experience with study abroad and familiarity with the operations of a study abroad office, its mission and business objectives, and practices.
- Experience in a complex university environment with proven ability to work with students, parents, staff, and faculty in a sensitive and diplomatic manner. Understanding of and sensitivity to the diverse population of Stanford students.
About the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE)
For undergraduates, VPUE is the nexus for programs and initiatives that help students define and achieve their intellectual ambitions at Stanford. These include investigative introductory courses taught by esteemed faculty, targeted classes in writing and rhetoric, undergraduate research support, academic advising and mentoring, overseas and off-campus study programs, and undergraduate scholarships and fellowships. For faculty, VPUE serves as a principal conduit for furthering interaction with undergraduates and discovering ways in which working with students can enrich one's research agenda. VPUE advocates for undergraduate education in collaboration with faculty, departments and schools across Stanford. All VPUE resources are dedicated to involving faculty with the undergraduate experience, connecting students with phenomenal opportunities and fully realizing a liberal education at Stanford.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven individuals to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or course auditing opportunities. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
If you're ready to work for an organization that nurtures diversity, respect, professional development and a comfortable work-life fit, we invite you to explore this opportunity and apply online: http://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
- Click on Job Search
- Enter 96097 in the Keyword Search field
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7506
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J
- Requisition ID: 96097