Job Title: TX-Regional Coordinator of Special Student Services - San Antonio and DFW (multiple positions)
Reports to: TX-Director of Special Student Services
Dept/School: District Special Student Services
To provide leadership for the implementation of Special Student Services Programs which advance achievement for students served through Special Education, Section 504, and Dyslexia Services. Support campuses to ensure these students are provided a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) through Individualized Education Programs and Section 504 Plans. Collaborate with Parents, Campus Coordinators, Headmasters, Teachers, and Support Personnel regarding instructional issues in special student services programs, district- wide initiatives, program requirements, and the mission of cultivating the minds and hearts of all students. Monitor compliance with all state, federal, and local requirements under the supervision of the District Special Student Services Director.
Master's degree in relevant educational field (Preferred) Valid Texas Special Education certification/endorsement
- Extensive knowledge of state and federal laws related to Special Education and Section 504. A strong understanding of the evaluation process and eligibility criteria for such programs Expertise in ARD development and compliance
- Experience with conflict resolution and mediation (desired)
- Experience in project design, implementation, and monitoring of Special Education and Section 504 Programs
- Experience planning, developing and implementing professional development programs Experience with Classical education, TEKS-based instruction and assessment processes
- Ability to plan coordinate, prioritize, and multitask responsibilities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills required to achieve the goals of the position
Five years of successful teaching experience in Special Education. Two years of successful Special Education Leadership experience.
Major Responsibilities and Duties: Instructional and Program Management
- Assists in the development and delivery of special education curriculum and instructional programs that incorporate district goals and support student achievement within the classical model. Ensure that curriculum renewal is continuous and responsive to student needs.
- Ensures the campuses special education referral process is effective and that student assessments and recommendations regarding placement and program management for individual students are completed in a timely manner.
- Monitors the Campuses admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) process. Supports campus coordinators to ensure that students are placed appropriately and development of individualized education programs for students are consistent with district procedures. Supports campus coordinators to ensure that student progress is evaluated on a systematic basis. Attend any ARDs as needed.
- Obtains and uses evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to gauge special education program effectiveness. Recommend changes when warranted. Develop and implement training for campus and special student services support staff based on findings and needs assessment.
- Ensures that the necessary time, resources, materials, and technology to support and accomplish educational goals are available. Develop and support implementation of innovative instruction and programs in conjunction with the classical curriculum.
- Assists campus coordinators with transition series for special education students entering and exiting public school programs.
- Provides leadership for assessing, developing and improving climate and culture for students in special education.
- Demonstrate support for the district's student management policies and expected student behavior related to special student services programs.
- Oversees the data management for campuses with Frontier (esped, estar etc) for Special Student Services Programs.
Policy, Reports and Law
- Works to ensure that schools are compliant with federal, state and local board policy requirements outlined in statute, education code, administrative code and policy for students in special education, Section 504, and Dyslexia Services.
- Prepares federal/state/local reports accurately and timely and makes local recommendations relative to the Special Student Services programs, as requested by the Director.
- Assists with the supervision of the writing/distribution of the Special Education program manuals and forms as requested.
Communications and Community Relations
- Establishes and maintains a professional relationship and open communication with headmasters, teachers, staff, parents and community members.
- Collaboratively establishes a culture that welcomes and honors families and community and seeks ways to engage them in student learning.
- Articulates the district's mission and goals in the areas of Special Student Services to the community and solicit its support.
Personal Qualities & Values
- Passionately Committed With humility and curiosity, we seek to know more about our core purpose; seek to share (with each other and with others externally as an advocate); seek to live the mission ourselves with relentless pursuit and intrinsic motivation; seek to understand our work and how it serves the mission...which should result in getting the right stuff done with measurable results because we love actualization - not just the theory
- Servant's Heart The foundational element of having a servant's heart is the acknowledgement of inherent dignity in their fellow human. Someone with a servant's heart believes that their work is to promote the development of those around them and make it possible for others to be successful in serving the mission of the organization.
- Team Player We believe our mission can only be accomplished through collaboration and receive true joy in being a part of something greater than ourselves; Each of us is one part of a whole, each with different roles, expertise and responsibilities; working together in synchronicity.
Great Hearts offers a very competitive benefits package and overall compensation will be commensurate with talent, experience and education.