Senior Associate Director of OIE
Carnegie Mellon’s Office of International Education (OIE) invites applications for the position of Senior Associate Director of OIE. We especially welcome qualified candidates, with experience in the field, who can contribute through their work/life experiences to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. This is a dynamic opportunity for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Primary administrative leadership responsibility for F and J student and scholar services including setting policy, coordinating review of office practices, communication, education and outreach, development of best practices, and case management.
- Vision and leadership. This position partners with the Director of OIE to engage in setting strategic and operational direction and serves as the primary point of contact for foreign student/scholar immigration services and concerns. This position has a dual reporting relationship with the Director of OIE and to the Associate Vice President and Director of Enrollment Services and International Programs.
- Supervisor/Manager. The Senior Associate Director will supervise three managers and team leads overseeing foreign student and scholar advisors, immigration compliance, reporting and document production. As an experienced professional, use knowledge of organization policies and practices, in combination with relevant government regulations to train and supervise staff, guide departmental contacts and ensure compliance and development of best practices. The Senior Associate Director will successfully balance institutional practice and policy with F and J regulations, leading foreign student and scholar services, including careful decision-making on complex student and scholar cases while maintaining confidentiality.
- F and J expertise. The Senior Associate Director will serve as the Responsible Officer (RO) for the University’s Exchange Visitor Program, and as Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) for SEVP, responsible for related reporting requirements, updates, and responses to routine Department of State (DOS) and SEVP/Homeland Security (HSI) requests. They will take leadership on F and J services, including advising roles, business practices, response to regulatory changes, and service provision. The Senior Associate Director will be responsible for overseeing the maintenance of data integrity and functionality of the internal database relevant to OIE’s compliance and reporting oversight. Impactful policy and/or comprehensive practice changes, and the most complex regulatory matters or individual cases, as necessary, will be referred to the OIE Director for consultation and advisement.
- Study Abroad emergency response. The Senior Associate Director will become familiar with study abroad emergency response to manage OIE response to emergency or urgent situations in the absence of the OIE Director and Associate Director of OIE Education for Study Abroad and perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates must have:
- Master's degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- At least 5-10 years of experience in student/scholar immigration issues and higher education administration, with at least 3 years at a high or very high research institution.
- Experience serving as the Responsible Officer (RO) for the University’s Exchange Visitor Program and/or as the Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) for SEVP
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a cover letter with their resume.
US citizenship and/or Permanent Residence is required as this person will be a PDSO/RO.
- Master's Degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Experience working, living or studying abroad
- Experience using Sunapsis international case management software and/or expertise in Sunapsis software