Associate Director - Office of International Students & Scholars
Oversee the advising function for international students and scholars to ensure the successful integration of international students and scholars into the campus and local community, with a primary responsibility for international scholars. Responsible for hiring, supervising and evaluating advising staff, managing the budget for international advising functions, and setting policy for this area. This activity also involves the processing of visa and immigration applications, as well as training and programming efforts for the international population. Work with campus and community partners to increase internationalization.
Primary Duties &Responsibilities
- Oversees the international scholar advising function; is responsible for developing appropriate processes and procedures for prompt and accurate processing and monitoring of immigration and visa applications.
- Responsible for developing policies related to nonimmigrant immigration statuses used at Washington University.
- Develops systems for referral of international students and scholars to appropriate resources.
- Serves as the manager of staff who process visa applications, develop orientation and other programs to facilitate the integration of international students and scholars on campus and in the community.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates the international advising staff, as well as an international advising coordinator.
- Serves as an international student/scholar (Designated School Official and Alternate Responsible Official) advisor, and manages caseload.
- Manages staff who develop training about topics of interest to the international populations, and to the campus departments that provide services to or employ internationals.
- May also be involved in the development, and delivery of training programs.
- Represents the OISS on various University committees, task forces, and in meetings about issues related to international students and scholars.
- Oversees plans for communications about international student and scholar issues, both internally in the University and externally.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with immigration employment-based visas for physicians and researchers on a medical campus.
- Four years of experience as an immigration officer of a university-based department providing services and advising to international students, faculty and staff.
- Master’s degree, J.D. or Ph.D. in a related field.
- Proficiency in a second language is preferred.
- Significant knowledge and understanding of issues for international students and scholars.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of H, J and F visa statuses.
- Excellent management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonally, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant field and five years of direct immigration employment-based experience - knowledge of government regulations, processes and filing procedures for H-1B, J-1, and TN. Knowledge of immigration regulations, policies and procedures. At least two years of supervisory experience of full-time, professional staff.
- Must be able to serve as a Designated School Official and an Alternate Responsible Officer (by law this requires US citizenship or permanent residence in the US).
More searches like this
- Immigration International Student and Scholar Services Associate Director jobs in Saint Louis
- Student & Scholar Services International Student and Scholar Services Associate Director jobs in Saint Louis
- Student Affairs International Student and Scholar Services Associate Director jobs in Saint Louis