Visa Compliance Specialist - Office of International Students and Scholars
The Visa Compliance Specialist is responsible for leading training, communication and integration efforts related to immigration and visa compliance in the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS). The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing the operations area of the OISS, ensuring smooth, timely and accurate processes for updating and integrating immigration/visa data in University systems. In addition, the CS oversees the departmental information system for immigration processing and will ensure that there is accurate and complete data in that system.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee immigration compliance for the University; develop procedures and training to ensure University-wide compliance with immigration and visa regulations. Analyze changes in government agency guidance, procedures, and regulations to determine whether our procedures need to change. Ensure that departmental websites are reviewed and updated annually to ensure ongoing compliance with immigration and visa regulations and procedures. Conduct regular file reviews to ensure compliance; develop compliance checklists for departments and for OISS staff. Develop appropriate training for departmental users of the Foreign National Information System, admissions processes for international students and visa document request system for international J-1 and H-1B scholars. Oversee training sessions on Danforth and/or Medical School campuses each semester.
- Serve as liaison with Student Affairs and WU-IT on development, implementation and maintenance of projects pertaining to the departmental information system, online data collection systems and datalinks with other University systems to ensure immigration compliance and data integrity. Develop and oversee processes of ongoing reporting of immigration data, as well as reporting of periodic events. Lead in the development and testing of system changes as they pertain to international employees and students.
- Serve as Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Will be responsible for reviewing compliance with reporting requirements, as well as carrying out immigration transactions in SEVIS, assembling H-1B applications, and assisting with OPT reporting requirements. Develop and oversee business processes for efficient processing and full compliance of immigration and visa applications and foreign national payroll processing. Oversee systems and processes for compliance in the OISS. Oversee collection and reporting of individual and general student/scholar data to outside agencies collecting such data and governmental offices that oversee international student/scholar programs to remain in compliance with federal regulations.
- Develop and oversee business processes for efficient processing and full compliance of immigration and visa applications and foreign national payroll processing. Oversee systems and processes for compliance in the OISS. Oversee collection and reporting of individual and general student/scholar data to outside agencies collecting such data and governmental offices that oversee international student/scholar programs to remain in compliance with federal regulations.
- Hire, train, and supervise office support staff involved in processing visa documents, updating visa information and collection and reporting of data. This includes two full-time support staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- May need to travel to Medical Campus; will oversee training on Danforth and Medical Campus; occasional evening and weekend work for systems updates; may need to be on call during systems updates.
- May be asked to travel out of town for conferences.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience in developing and training.
- Experience in setting up data systems and reporting is helpful.
- Thorough knowledge of F, J and H regulations.
- Understand data systems and how systems are integrated.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at once, and organize tasks based on priorities, for successful, accurate and timely completion.
- Excellent communication skills, as well as excellent customer service skills.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least five years of experience working with visa and immigration regulations.
- Must have previous experience as a supervisor.
- Must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident to serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO).