Welcome to Loyola University Chicago
As one of the nation’s largest Jesuit, Catholic universities, Loyola University Chicago fosters a transformative cultural experience that honors diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to not only recruiting, but also retaining a diverse, mission driven workforce and enabling a culture of inclusiveness in an environment that values service excellence, stewardship, personal well-being, and professional development for all of our employees. We actively seek those who wish to join our faculty, staff, and students in a community of diverse opinions, perspectives, and backgrounds supporting our Jesuit mission and striving toward the same goal of being persons for and with others.
- With more than 4,000 employees at four different campuses, Loyola University Chicago strives for a diverse work environment that values service excellence, stewardship, personal well-being, and professional development.
- Loyola University Chicago supports its employees with a wide array of benefits centered around health and wellness, financial security, and work-life balance. These included, but are not limited to, medical/dental/visions insurance, tuition remission and exchange programs for employees, legally domiciled adults, and/or their dependents, parental leave, housing assistance, and many other benefits.
- The University offers an easy way to save for retirement through the Loyola University Chicago Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (DCRP), a 403(b) plan, with up to a 10% contribution.
- Forbes recently recognized Loyola as a Best Employer for Diversity, Best Employer for Women, and Best Midsize Employer in 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities
The advisor is a professional position within the Study Abroad Office within the Office of Global and Community Engagement. This position performs a variety of duties in support of the recruitment, placement, orientation, and re-entry of Loyola students interested in education abroad opportunities. As a staff member in a multi-function oﬃce, this position also involves support of assessment initiatives and additional responsibilities as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Advising: Advises Loyola students about study, research, intern, volunteer, and teach abroad opportunities. Assists students in identifying the appropriate program of study and sources of funding, as well as academic planning. Acts as a point of contact for students, parents, faculty and staff with respect to study abroad issues.
- Program Support: Provides administrative support for special populations and programs as assigned, including global centers, faculty-led, exchange, and provider programs, and travel registrations for employee, graduate, and non-credit bearing travelers. Conducts workshops and presentations on financial aid, scholarship opportunities, and overseas program options; pre-departure orientation; and reentry programming for study abroad students. Assists the Director of Study Abroad in supervising student workers.. In collaboration with Director, resolves unique situations as they arise. Assists in training junior study abroad advisor(s) and answers questions as they arise.
- Recruitment: Promotes study abroad on campus and identifies new avenues for recruitment of Loyola students to take part in education abroad programs. Develops and maintains relationships with campus partners and prospective students. Coordinates and/or conducts on- campus presentations for various constituencies. Gathers and maintains data related to study abroad learning outcomes and the effectiveness of recruitment activities; prepares reports on recruitment related activities and outcomes.
- Marketing: Develops and maintains print and electronic marketing and public relations materials. Implements study abroad marketing plan utilizing a variety of tools including classroom presentations, special events, and social media; develops printed and web- based materials as needed. Provides input on marketing and communication strategies. Coordinates Fall and Spring study abroad fairs. Assists staff with managing website content and design, web (re)development, and ongoing maintenance. Helps the Director manage social media accounts and other outreach efforts related to study abroad.
- Additional duties as assigned in support of education abroad and Loyola’s global vision.
Bachelor’s degree in related field and two plus years of related experience; experience studying, working, and/or teaching abroad; experience advising college students; outstanding written and oral communication skills; and strong computer and presentation skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree related to international education; study abroad advising experience; promotion or marketing experience; and foreign language skills.