This vacancy is the result of temporary funding through the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER). The duration of the funding means the position is temporary and may last for one, two, or three years. Hired candidates may be excessed or non-renewed from the position for the following school year.
DIRECTOR OF STUDENT SERVICES
The Director of Student Services directs the planning, development, organization, management, and implementation of all aspects of student services programs at MPTVHS. His/her/their responsibilities include guidance counseling, clinical services and child welfare, Pathways programming and community/work-based learning opportunities. The essential functions of the Director of Student Services are as follows:
REPORTS TO: HEAD OF SCHOOL AND ASSISTANT HEAD OF SCHOOL (OVER STUDENT SERVICES)
- Collaborate with Head of School and ILT to lead school in an Equitable Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) to ensure that all students have access to culturally responsive and rigorous learning opportunities that are academic, healing-centered and culturally/linguistically responsive;
- Collaborate with counseling and wellness teams to train staff on effective tier 1-3 student interventions;
- Plan the comprehensive school counseling program;
- Work with the MPTVHS Director of Special Education and Coordinator of Special Education (CoSE) to ensure IEP compliance around student support services;
- Collaborate with CoSE, psychologist, and social workers to provide professional development on the IEP process including assessment, report, and effective goal writing;
- Develop and maintain a written plan for the effective delivery of the school counseling program based on national standards and current individual school data
- Arranges individual and group counseling to students with identified concerns and needs.
- Facilitates and tracks student mental health assessment referrals and counseling.
- Accurately and appropriately interprets and utilizes student data to guide team meetings.
- Consults and collaborates effectively with families, teachers, administrators and other educational/community resources regarding student progress.
CLINICAL SUPERVISION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- On site supervisor for social workers, school psychologist, and external mental health partners;
- Develop and facilitate school-wide and SLC-level SST meetings and professional development related to student support;
- Lead professional development related to creating a trauma sensitive school.
COORDINATION OF COMPREHENSIVE STUDENT CARE
- Provide leadership and oversight for the development of a comprehensive case management system including setting standards and protocols with the SST, systems of student intervention, referral, and follow-up and information sharing practices;
- Act as an advocate for students;
- Establish partnerships and collaborations with community organizations, hospitals, and health centers to improve the scope of mental, physical, and wellness services available at MPTVHS.
- Serve as a liaison between Madison Park Technical Vocational High School and external agencies, networks, and partner organizations
- Develop partnerships to augment clinical supervision for members of the SST that will enable staff members to strategize about how best to serve students while maintaining their own wellness, given their extremely challenging roles
- Work with collaborating institutions to bring a range of interns (counseling, mental health, MSW,etc.) to the school and provide supervision for interns
GUIDANCE and PATHWAYS SUPPORT
- Organizes the work of the MPTVHS guidance team and provides coaching support. (Not responsible for evaluations of Guidance counselors.)
- Coordinate the development and implementation of developmental and/or MyCAP career guidance curriculum units in classrooms and advisory sessions.
- Design and facilitate weekly operational (1) and staff development (1) meetings for MPTVHS Guidance Team to track essential Guidance functions, communicate initiatives, and plan for ongoing student support and school improvements.
- Integrate Pathways staff into weekly Guidance activities and coordinate early-college planning between Guidance and Pathways staff members
- Collaborate with School Leadership on development and implementation of advisory
COMMUNITY & WORK-BASED LEARNING
- Design the implementation and expansion of the community and work based learning programs in partnership with MPTVHS Guidance and ILT (job shadowing, student internships, mentorships, apprenticeships, cooperative education, service learning, etc.)
- Develop materials to assist students, parents, and employers in understanding the steps, responsibilities, and timelines involved in participating in community and work based learning experiences.
- Coordinate with staff and develops protocols for staff that allow them to monitor work processes, visit students on site, and facilitate student success, including visits to students and identified on-site mentors
- Develop career-connected exploration and training sequence for MPTVHS students and partner with instructional team to design integration into courses and master schedule
- Maintain an open line of communication with supervisors, school staff, and parents/guardians to monitor the on-the-job progress of students participating in a community and work based learning program and/or real-world learning experience.
- Gather and maintain evaluative data and prepare reports on the status of the community and work based learning programs and/or cooperative education learning for internal and external use as appropriate.
- Meet with community groups, businesses, school personnel, post-secondary institutions, and others to promote the benefits of the community and work based learning programs and/or real-world learning experience.
- Arrange opportunities for potential participants to visit businesses, organizations, etc in order to provide students with the information needed to make decisions regarding community and work based learning programs and/or cooperative education learning experiences.
- Identify and build relationships with industry partners to serve as key MPTVHS partners for career-connected student experiences and internships
- Submit required reports to the Head of School, BPS, DESE, etc.
- Ensure appropriate coverage for SST staff during non-school hours and summer
- Ensure appropriate staffing ratios and balanced workloads within the SST
- Conducts a yearly program review to assess the extent and success of program implementation.
- Provide teacher observation, feedback, and evaluation support as needed
- Provide specific coaching and support for career-connected MPTVHS staff as needed
- Performs related duties as directed by the MPTVHS Head of School
- Master degree in educational leadership or related fields
- Three (3) years of successful teaching experience.
- Massachusetts license for School Guidance Counselor, School Adjustment Counselor, and/or LiCSW/LCSW license
- Massachusetts license for School Principal/Assistant Principal or license in administration
- Preference for Massachusetts license in moderate disabilities
- Strong commitment to the inclusion of students with disabilities in general education environments.
- Strong ability to collaborate in a fast-paced environment and maintain calm under pressure
- Strong leadership qualities, interpersonal skills, and personal characteristics to work effectively with students, teachers, administrators, and parents.
- Ability to establish a multi-cultural atmosphere that enhances individual growth and promotes a positive self-image.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in teaching in urban settings
- Experience in implementing restorative practices
BASAS, Group 10B, 211 days
Salaries and benefits are in line with those received as employees of the Boston Public Schools.
Working conditions are subject to the Madison Park Technical Vocational High School annual Election to Work Agreement.
Please refer to the salary Compensation section on the Career Site for more information on compensation. Salaries are listed by Union and Grade/Step.