The Eberly Center seeks a Teaching Consultant, International Programs to support the professional development of instructors across all Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) schools and colleges on both the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (USA) and Doha, Qatar campuses. This position is based in Pittsburgh, providing educational development services to CMU-Pittsburgh faculty and, at a distance, to CMU-Qatar faculty in Doha, Qatar. Additionally, at least two times per year (e.g., once per Fall and Spring semester), the Teaching Consultant travels to Qatar for approximately three weeks per trip to provide in-person services to CMU-Qatar faculty. This position may also provide support to faculty (remotely and/or
in-person) at additional international CMU campuses, as opportunities evolve.
Given the rich diversity of the students, faculty, staff, and communities we serve on the Pittsburgh and Qatar campuses, we encourage individuals with underrepresented identities and those committed to advancing a more just and equitable society to apply.
Teaching Consultants at the Eberly Center have the following responsibilities: Provide consultation services advising faculty, postdoc, and graduate student instructors about inclusive, evidence-based teaching and learning strategies and course design;
Develop and implement group programs (e.g., interactive seminars, learning communities, teaching orientations) and web resources for the improvement of teaching and dissemination of research-based teaching strategies;
Stay abreast of and disseminate research and emerging developments regarding evidenced-based teaching strategies; and
Periodically teach in one's discipline to maintain first-hand experience.
Our Teaching Consultants develop a diverse and rewarding portfolio of responsibilities as they design and implement innovative educational development services to enhance teaching and learning at CMU.
Teaching Consultants collaborate extensively with Eberly Center colleagues specializing in technology-enhanced learning and the formative assessment of student learning. Additionally, Eberly colleagues engage regularly in robust professional development activities regarding evidence-based teaching, consultation practices, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
Flexibility, excellence, passion, and creativity are vital qualities within The Eberly Center. Inclusion, collaboration, cultural sensitivity, evidence-based practice, and DEI are valued competencies. Therefore, we seek a team member who shares these core values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Education: Ph.D., EdD, or terminal degree completed, in any discipline represented by a CMU academic unit.
- Educational Development Experience: two or more years of educational development experience with faculty, postdocs, and/or graduate students at an established, college-level center for teaching and learning (e.g., consultations on pedagogy, instructional workshops/orientations).
- Teaching Experience: two or more years (i.e., four or more semesters) of college-level teaching experience in a discipline relevant to a CMU academic unit
- Effectively consult one-on-one with instructors of various ranks, backgrounds, and experience-levels across educational contexts and disciplines;
- Impactfully and inclusively employ a diverse toolkit of design and facilitation skills to meet the objectives of educational development programs for groups of instructors;
- Conversantly discuss, critically read, and appropriately apply the literature on educational research (e.g., dBER, SoTL, learning science) to teaching and educational development practice;
- Inclusively and productively collaborate in settings of social and intellectual diversity;
- Autonomously demonstrate strong organizational and program management skills;
- Successfully navigate uncertainty and ambiguity to solve emergent challenges;
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing to diverse audiences; and
- Maintain high levels of professional integrity and confidentiality.
- International Professional Experience: One or more years of experience working at higher education institutions both inside and outside the United States.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Two or more years of experience conducting diversity, equity, and inclusion work in high education.
- Technology-Enhanced Technology: Fluency with educational technologies commonly used in higher education.
The Eberly Center's Mission is to distill the research on learning for faculty and graduate students and collaborate with them to design and implement meaningful educational experiences. We believe that combining the science and art of teaching empowers our colleagues to create the conditions for students to learn and, through this learning, transform their world. We are a highly motivated, creative, productive, and collaborative group and look forward to welcoming a new member to our team! For more information on the Eberly Center, visit http://www.cmu.edu/teaching/
To apply: Visit the posting for Job # 2018638 on the Careers @ Carnegie website. Please submit a curriculum vitae AND cover letter to be considered. Carnegie Mellon University is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer. Given the rich diversity of the students, faculty, staff, and communities we serve, we encourage individuals with underrepresented identities and those committed to advancing a more just society to apply.
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. The most up-to-date information on CMU's COVID-19 mitigation requirements can be found here: Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus.
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
- Statement of Assurance