Director, International Student Services and Study Abroad Berklee
Berklee is dynamic, innovative, creative, global, and bold—a place that embraces improvisation and innovation.
Located in Boston, Massachusetts, Berklee is the preeminent private institute of contemporary music and the performing arts, offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Boston, New York, and Valencia, Spain. Berklee, inclusive of Berklee College of Music, Boston Conservatory at Berklee, Berklee Online, and Berklee Valencia is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education.
Thirty-five percent of Berklee’s students are international, representing 97 countries. Berklee maintains global partnerships and articulation agreements with a variety of academic institutions on six continents. Berklee also offers robust first-year and study abroad programs in Valencia.
Berklee launched an innovative student success advising model in 2022, making a significant investment in transforming student services into a holistic student support network. Employing a student-centered approach, all advisors across campus, including international student advisors, affirm and support each student’s personal development, and growth.
The Director will play an essential leadership role in ensuring the work of the International Student Services and Study Abroad Office is effectively integrated into the student success advising model described in the THRIVE strategic direction.
Berklee is seeking a student-focused, experienced international educator who is passionate about contributing to student success and excellence in a global context.
The Director of International Student Services and Study Abroad will support Berklee’s mission and strategic global focus by overseeing international student services and engagement strategies, as well as programs, exchanges and experiences for Berklee students studying abroad.
Reporting to the Associate Dean, Student Success Programs, the Director is a member of the Student Success Leadership Team.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the Office of International Student Services and Study Abroad in alignment with the framework and strategic priorities of the Student Success Leadership Team.
- Liaise with administration, faculty, students, and external constituents for matters related to international students’ enrollment, engagement and Berklee students studying abroad.
- Manage and develop a team of ten professional staff, interns and student employees.
- Develop and oversee budgets and grants, and collaborate on fundraising opportunities for the expansion of undergraduate international education.
- Ensure compliance with any and all federal, state and institutional policies.
- Train and supervise Designated School Officials (DSOs) to ensure institutional compliance with federal student visa administration regulations, accurate and timely government reporting, process re-certification, and other U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements.
- Update and advise administration on matters related to the international student experience as it relates to government regulations, actions and orders.
- Oversee team of international student advisors responsible for student lifecycle immigration advising of 1,900+ students and alumni in Boston, New York and Valencia.
- Develop, implement and administer comprehensive assessments of international student engagement and success. Develop data-informed objectives aligned with Berklee’s strategic goals and best practices in higher education.
- Collaborate with the Student Enrollment and Engagement Division to provide training, support and leadership development on matters of student conduct, academic success and career development pertaining to international students.
- Collaborate with campus programs and services interacting directly with international students.
- Support and enhance orientation and adjustment of international students.
- Develop and expand programming related to cultural adjustment, immigration, employment authorization, taxes, and health insurance.
- Collaborate with the success advising team to coordinate communications with Berklee’s international student population.
- Develop and track enrollment goals in collaboration with Valencia leadership and enrollment teams.
- Work collaboratively with Valencia enrollment, academic and student affairs teams to improve systems, services and support related to the study abroad program.
- Coordinate transitional advising supports (academic planning, immigration compliance, health and safety awareness, financial planning) for incoming and outgoing study abroad students.
- Assess and report on study abroad programming and participation.
- Inform and educate academic partner schools about Valencia campus programs and exchange opportunities.
- 10 years of experience in international higher education
- 3 or more years of supervising others
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Bachelor's degree
- Prior DSO experience
- Strong intercultural skills and commitment to diversity
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Master's degree in higher education administration or related international / intercultural field.
- PDSO experience.
- Proficiency in a second language (esp. Spanish, Korean or Mandarin).
- Significant experience living, working and/or studying abroad.
- Based in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Full-time on-campus position. (This position may provide an opportunity for limited remote work)
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required.
- Occasional international and domestic travel required.
We support an inclusive workplace where everyone excels based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance. Berklee affirms that inequality is detrimental to our faculty, staff, students, and the communities we serve. Our goal is to make lasting change through our actions. Berklee is committed to providing fair and equitable consideration of all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, place of birth, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or status as a member of the armed forces or veteran of the armed forces, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As part of this commitment, Berklee will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the Human Resources Team at hroperations@Berklee.edu or call 617-747-2375.
Berklee is committed to increasing the diversity of our institution, community, and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
Berklee has retained Gateway Executive Search to lead this search.
Applications should include a resume and a statement of interest of no more than two pages that addresses why the applicant is interested in the position and how their professional knowledge and skills meet the required and preferred qualifications for this position, as well as how their professional experience fits with the needs of Berklee.
Applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled; interviews will begin In November 2022.
All inquiries, nominations, and expressions of interest will be held in confidence and should be submitted electronically at this link.
Applications submitted by email will not be accepted.
Gateway Search Team
Gateway Executive Search provides boutique executive search services to institutions and organizations seeking highly professional and skilled practitioners. Executive search consultants are professionals with extensive networks to identify and recruit diverse talent.
- Catherine Hutchison Winnie, Ph.D., Senior Search Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org
General questions should be directed to
- Angie Johnson, Talent Acquisition Coordinator, email@example.com