International Student Academic Advisor
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
The College at Brown University oversees academic advising for all undergraduate students, collaborating with faculty and staff across the University to support students’ academic progress and success. Within this context, the International Student Academic Advisor will serve as part of the College’s academic advising team to provide holistic (academic, financial, and personal) advising to self-identified international undergraduate students. Reporting to the Associate Dean for International Students, the International Student Academic Advisor will provide international students with comprehensive academic and cross-cultural support from orientation to graduation within the context of Brown’s Open Curriculum. As a partner to the College’s financial advising team, the incumbent will also advise international students around financial issues that may intersect with academic, sociocultural, immigration, personal and health circumstances. The International Student Academic Advisors will provide academic support programming throughout the academic year, and will be responsible for supporting processes including routine F-1 CPT Independent study proposals and OPT academic checks. The incumbent will also serve as a member of Global Brown, a cross-university partnership which supports the inbound and outbound global mobility of the Brown community.
Candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter. Application materials received by November 28, 2022 will receive full consideration.
- Bachelor’s degree in international education, counseling, student personnel, psychology, or related field; master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of related work experience in a higher education setting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of best practices in student development theories and academic support for international students.
- Experience working with international students on intercultural programming and/or providing academic support.
- Knowledge of F-1 and J-1 immigration regulations and experiences advising F-1 and J-1 visa holders.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with international students on financial literacy.
- Demonstrated experience advocating for and making change towards aspirational goals
related to equity and inclusion. Proven track record in furthering institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives while supporting students from historically underrepresented and/or minoritized backgrounds is required.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and mobilize others (staff, faculty, and students) to achieve shared goals.
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Successful experience in academic program administration, including planning and development, and implementation. Demonstrated commitment to assessment and gathering/acting on feedback from students, faculty, and colleagues.
- Knowledge of current research and issues in international education, student developmental theories.
- Preferred: Prior P/DSO and A/RO experience or experience working in undergraduate financial aid
- Preferred: Proficiency in a foreign language and previous international experience.
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume with their applications.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal and education records check satisfactory to Brown.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site at https://healthy.brown.edu.
To apply, please use this link to directly view the position on Brown’s Career Site: https://brown.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/staff-careers-brown/jobs/details/International-Student-Academic-Advisor_REQ182651
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally