Center for Global Engagement Executive Director
We seek an innovative, seasoned, and pragmatic leader to be the face of Global Education for James Madison University (JMU). Our goal is to expand our international education mission to reflect our number one strategic priority—- Being the Change at Work and in the World.
This position is expected to begin in the Spring of 2023 or as negotiated by the successful candidate.
As the Executive Director of the Center for Global Engagement (CGE), the successful candidate will integrate the three main divisions of the Center for Global Engagement: Study Abroad, International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), and Global Learning and Partnerships.
With a focus on expanding opportunity and access for underrepresented students, staff, and faculty, the executive director will lead the strategic direction for the academic and programmatic mission of CGE, working in collaboration with the campus leadership.
The Executive Director also serves as the Senior International Officer for the university, advising and assisting senior leadership on global issues and policies. In this role, they will advocate for an international perspective on campus, in the local community, and globally. As a department, the Center for Global Engagement is comprised of 18+ dedicated professionals who value inclusive excellence, integrity, and work-life balance. CGE has a growing study abroad mission with 80 programs in 50 different countries with opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, including short-term and full semester programs, as well as internship and exchange experiences. These programs and other initiatives meaningfully impact our students, staff, and faculty.
James Madison University is a selective public R2/National University in Harrisonburg, VA, with a growing national reputation for offering experiences that lead to an outstanding education and inclusive environment for the JMU community. The student body comprises approximately 20,000 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate students with over 1,000 full-time instructional faculty. JMU offers thriving programs in liberal arts, science and technology, and professional disciplines at the undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral levels.
Harrisonburg is the 12th largest city in Virginia; nicknamed “the Friendly City,” it is in Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, located in the western part of the state and the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains. The region is best known for its natural beauty and many wineries. The city is approximately 120 miles from Washington, DC, and Richmond, VA, with a population of just over 53,000. It is one of the most diverse communities in the Commonwealth of Virginia. As a university town, the Harrisonburg community enjoys all the arts and amenities of a big city combined with the ease, recreation, and charm of a small town.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director of CGE reports to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (Provost). The successful candidate can expect the following:
- To promote the department and its vision for global learning and education to the JMU community
- To oversee academic policies, programs, global partnership initiatives, international collaborations, study abroad programs, international student enrollment, ISSS, and management of external funding and grants
- To further engagement between the university and surrounding communities
- To oversee the university administration of immigration policies and compliance with federal reporting requirements for immigrant and non-immigrant visa holders
- To oversee institutional agreements, international delegation visits, extramural activities, and the fiscal and personnel management of the department
- To represent the university on global initiatives, networks, and consortia
- To lead negotiations with international institutions and agencies
- The essential need to develop and maintain strong and vibrant relationships with the Provost, Deans, and senior academic leaders
- Extensive international travel
- Progressive leadership experience and proficiency in the field of global learning
- Experience managing large, complex, operational budgets effectively and responsibly
- Experience in building collaborative relationships
- Experience in advocating for intercultural engagement initiatives and fiscal resources
- Efficient diplomatic intercultural communication
- Understanding the importance of the global perspective and inclusive excellence at home and abroad
- A terminal degree or extensive experience in international education
- Ability to make administrative and procedural judgments, often quickly, with consideration for their domestic and global impact
- Awareness of immigration regulations for faculty and students
- A senior administrative role at an International Education Office
- Established international networks and contacts
- Assessment of international and global learning outcomes
- A record of contributions in the field of international education through professional organizations, leadership, and service
- Understanding of the complexity of federal immigration regulations and how they impact universities, international students, international faculty, staff, and employees that process the associated documentation
- Understanding of the history, trends, and dynamic global higher education landscape
To learn more and to apply, go to joblink.jmu.edu and reference posting F2038 or go to https://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/13268. Review of applications begins 11/28/2022. Salary is commensurate with experience.
James Madison University is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.