International Scholar Advisor
International Scholar Advisor
Exempt Overtime Eligible:
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Reporting to the Associate Director, International Scholar Services, the International Scholar Advisor's primary responsibilities will be providing direct immigration advising for international scholars and preparing nonimmigrant petitions. The staff members of the International Offices at Caltech and JPL work as a team. Advisors consult with one another in order to develop a consistent stance on immigration advising for Caltech and JPL.
This role may be eligible for a hybrid work schedule, subject to institutional review. Regular on-campus reporting is required.
Essential Job Duties
• Provide direct immigration advising to international scholars from pre-arrival to departure; prepare J documents, E-3, H, TN and O petitions; support B and F-1 OPT/STEM OPT; advise about pathways to permanent residency.
• Serve as Alternate Responsible Office (ARO) for Caltech's J Exchange Visitor Program and as a Designated School Official (DSO) for Caltech's F Student program.
• Stay current on changing immigration laws, regulations, and policy; interpret and apply to internal business practices.
• Prepare and file petitions, applications, and correspondence with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), and U.S. Department of State (DOS).
• Establish and maintain relationships with ISS campus business partners to educate, collaborate and assist in the service of institutional compliance and the international scholar experience.
• Provide timely updates and presentations to international scholars and ISS campus business partners regarding immigration changes and business practices.
• Work within ISSM and SEVIS; comply with DHS, DOL, and DOS regulations and maintain record keeping.
• Complete Forms I-9.
• Update and maintain assigned sections of the International Offices' website.
• Conduct and contribute to an innovative, compliant, and enriching orientation for international scholars.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree.
• 3 years of relevant international scholar or U.S. immigration advising experience.
• Critical thinking and organizational skills including completion of complex projects in a timely manner.
• Communication and presentation skills.
• In accordance with the regulations at 22 CFR 62, the individual in this position must be a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
• Master's degree.
• Experience working with Ellucian's International Student and Scholar Management (ISSM) and with complex, system-wide databases.
• Experience with the culture, procedures and practices of higher education/research environment.
• Cover Letter
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/3653291
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.