Ascend is at a pivotal point in its development. Having grown from a network office of seven staff to close to 100, and from four schools to 15, in seven years, and having developed a unique educational and cultural model that is driving ever-increasing academic success, Ascend has adopted a five-year growth plan to double the number of schools operated and students served. Critical to the success of
this growth plan is identifying, conducting due diligence on, scoping, and undertaking renovation projects on facilities to house our new schools. Unlike the schools operated by many charter management organizations, Ascend schools are all located in privately leased facilities, and are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning. Our facilities are modern, bright, architecturally
striking, comfortable, and well-suited to our liberal arts academic program.
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,500 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
Visit our page to learn more about the Ascend approach.Responsibilities
The student services coordinator is responsible for and takes ownership of all aspects of special education. Additionally, the student services coordinator will:
Staff and reporting relationships
- Coordinate staff professional development in the areas of special education, 504s, tiered system of support, ENL and other related services
- Support the SETSS teachers, ENL teachers, Integrated Co-teachers, and other instructional staff
- Implementing IEPs and managing the provision of direct services by related service providers approved by the New York City Department of Education
- Prepare student individualized education plans in consultation with staff and families to ensure success for all scholars
- Create, implement, and review 504 plans in consultation with staff and families to ensure success for all scholars
- Serving as the school's primary contact with the Department of Education's Office of Special Education, and directly manage the relationship, ensuring school compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and maintaining accurate and up-to-date records and other documentation
- Designing differentiated instruction, including small group instruction, and administering rigorous, standards-based assessments to serve students needing special services
- Ensuring that all teachers know of, understand, and implement all classroom accommodations and modifications required by IEPs and 504 plans
- Working with the school's certified special education professionals and counselors to share best practices across schools in the Ascend network and resolve any school-based crises expeditiously
- Ensuring that all staff members implement, and monitor at risk tiered support through weekly data-driven meetings and planning sessions with the support of the school-based teams, including coordinating professional development of special education
- Manage the provision of direct services by related service providers approved by the New York City Department of Education
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Partner with the assistant principal and students services team to ensure that all students, including those with exceptionalities, have the access and support needed to achieve
- Plan, execute, and monitor grade level RTB Tier 1 and Tier 2 meetings and processes, including progress monitoring and individual student plan implementation
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, student support team meetings, RTI/RTB meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
- Take on additional responsibilities that drive the achievement of targeted academic and cultural results
The student services coordinator reports directly to the principal. Additional collaboration occurs with other members of the leadership team and the Ascend network.Qualifications
Diversity at Ascend
- A master's degree and special education certification is required
- Full-time classroom experience and a demonstrated track record of propelling students' academic growth and mastery
- At least two years of teaching as special education teacher with a proven track record of elevating student achievement, preferably in urban schools
- Demonstrate an unwavering belief that all students can achieve at high levels and that scholars with disabilities are as capable of greatness as general education scholars
- Manifest a total commitment to do whatever it takes to prepare all of the school's students for college
- Demonstrate a record of producing dramatic student achievement gains as a teacher
- Have exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Be committed to education standards, statewide testing, and accountability
- Be prepared to invest in building relationships with students
- Have a "can do" attitude and be a team player, relentless in the pursuit of the school's academic objectives; hard-working and willing to take feedback and engage in a process of self-improvement
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities-opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.Compensation
Initial salary offers for this position range from $80,000 - $105,000. Salaries are determined using an equitable compensation scale that accounts for years of experience and levels of attained education.Ascend's Vaccination Policy Statement
To prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, and protect the health and safety of staff, students, family members, interns, volunteers, and visitors to Ascend's premises from COVID-19 infection, Ascend requires all staff to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated for the coronavirus. This policy is mandatory except for staff with a documented medical or religious reason for not receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Position Type:Full-time
- Positions Available:1
- Salary:$80,000 to $105,000 Per Year
Job Category :Special Education > General Special EducationEmployer Description
Founded in 2008, Ascend today comprises seven schools - growing to nine in September 2015 - in the central Brooklyn neighborhoods of Brownsville, Bushwick, Canarsie, and East Flatbush. Next year, our schools will serve over 3,300 students in kindergarten through ninth grade, from these and surrounding Brooklyn communities.
Ascend schools offer a rich, varied, rigorous Common Core-aligned curriculum, in a warm, supportive, and joyful culture. All Ascend schools occupy inspiring, light-filled, privately-leased facilities.
Ascend schools are open to all students by lottery, with no admission criteria other than New York City residence, and at no cost to families. Ascend schools serve all students and actively seek to fill every available seat.
Learn more at www.ascendlearning.org. Learn more about us...Equal Opportunity Employer
Ascend Public Charter Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Job Requirements
- Citizenship, residency or work visa required
- Kelly Baick , Talent outreach manager
- 205 Rockaway Pkwy
- Brooklyn,New York 11212-3444
- Phone: 3476335425
- Email: click here