Student Services Officer/Manager
School of Engineering, Stanford, California, United States
Post Date Jan 17, 2023
Requisition # 96691
Stanford Engineeringhas been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques, and systems.
Department of Materials Science and Engineering ,mse.stanford.edu, seeks a Student Services Manager to provide administrative and operational support to our department, faculty, and students. This position is critical in administering, implementing, and interpreting university and department policies and procedures on issues regarding admission, financial aid, housing, registrar services, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services. Identify, clarify, and resolve highly visible or complex issues with substantial significance and impact that may span multiple areas, using expert technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, this role works on multi-faceted issues of diverse complexity (size, degree, focus, expertise, breadth, impact) where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. The ideal candidate will skillfully address critical student issues and crises through effective evaluation, determination, and implementation of appropriate protocols, methods, and escalation techniques. We are seeking candidates who are progressive thinkers, highly organized, and resourceful in networking with key contacts outside their area of expertise and often outside of the university.
Are you personable, proactive, and exude a high-level of customer service? Then this position may be the right fit for you!
- Manage an area or program in student services, analyze effectiveness, and make final decisions on program eligibility.
- Engage in critical analysis of student and program concerns to resolve substantial issues which may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge.
- Develop and implement programming (virtual, in-person), make strategic recommendations for future programs.
- Interpret and implement university policy related to academic policies; oversee the implementation of policies and practices for a student population or school.
- Analyze and develop report requirements, portals and student facing communications.
- Evaluate and determine recommendations on technology resources, negotiate with resources options and vendors.
- Analyze and develop report requirements, portals, and student facing communications.
- Manage outreach programs, relationships with external community and university liaisons.
- Provide direct advice to students on a range of issues including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Apprise students of research, fellowship, and scholarship opportunities, make recommendations to the leadership to award grants.
- May contribute to preparing and submitting training grants.
- Provide consulting advice to internal and external organizations; act as subject matter expert in a specialized field.
- Oversee key processes, including contribution and direction on policy and program content.
- Manage financial processes and development of budgets.
- May lead teams and projects that impact a significant unit of the university.
- May direct the work of other staff; contribute to development of staff training programs.
*_ _Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience (Required):
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (Required):
- Proficient computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email
- Advanced communication skills to communicate information clearly and effectively to internal and external audiences, client groups, and all levels of management.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to review and analyze complex information.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced customer service skills.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, reach/work above shoulders, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, use a telephone, sort/file paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat, kneel/crawl.
- - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
The expected pay range for this position is $87,000-$116,000 per annum. Stanford University provides pay ranges representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for a position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, geographic location and external market pay for comparable jobs.
WHY STANFORD IS FOR YOU:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Ourcultureandunique perksempower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
HOW TO APPLY:
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the "Apply for Job" button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
*_ _Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7503
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: I
- Requisition ID: 96691