Event Technology Manager
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Washington D.C.
- Salary range minimum: $75,000
- Closing date
- Jun 30, 2023
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Organization Type
Position Summary: The Event Technology Manager manages NAFSA’s infrastructure supporting virtual, in-person and hybrid events. This role works closely with internal stakeholders and vendors to ensure the event technology platforms remain current, evolve with the organization, and effectively support NAFSA’s events from small, stand-alone events to major conferences.
Event Technology Manager Major Functions and Responsibilities
Strategy, Planning and Deployment (40%)
- Use the Event Technology Toolkit to facilitate event planning, scope and budget discussions with event owners across the organization.
- Partner with NAFSA event planning teams to plan event system implementations.
- Lead sessions to review and revise event systems functionality to best meet NAFSA’s specific
- Consult decision makers, systems owners, and end users to define business, financial, and operations requirements and systems goals, and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of event systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Actively maintain the event technology team workplan for all NAFSA events.
- Create and maintain realistic timelines in conjunction with event stakeholders for setup and implementation of event platforms.
- Research and recommend best practices, standards, and policies for NAFSA enterprise platforms supporting NAFSA events.
- Stay abreast of developments in virtual event technologies. Actively research and recommend emerging technologies to support innovation in NAFSA’s events and member landscape.
Enterprise Event Technology Management (35%)
- Manage and support the annual systems setup and the implementation cycles for NAFSA annual and regional conferences and other events. Advise on recommendations or alternatives that address existing and potential trouble areas in event operations across the organization.
- Ensure accurate system setup and new feature implementation in event technology systems including Maritz event registration, CadmiumCD, Cvent, Zoom, and a variety of SaaS tools.
- Work closely with vendors and NAFSA Annual and Regional event owners to create and execute implementation & testing timelines. Ensure timely implementation and smooth operations of registration and event technology systems for attendees and exhibitors.
- Partner with Event Logistics, Accounting, Technology Operations and vendors to plan on-site registration desk, hardware and infrastructure setup and staffing.
- Recommend modifications to process workflows, optimize user experience and backend data capture protocols in the iMIS AMS.
- Consult staff on using Zoom features to create engaging virtual events.
- Prepare and deliver reports, recommendations, or alternatives that address existing and potential trouble areas in event operations across the organization.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of event and in-house computing systems.
- Support testing, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems. Provide post-implementation support.
- Oversee active maintenance of system and business process documentation and training for effective knowledge transfer across NAFSA.
- Provide guidance and/or instruction to junior staff members.
Staff and Vendor Management (20%)
- Lead and guide NAFSA cross-departmental teams in the implementation of Event Technology platforms and services.
- Motivate, support, assess and evaluate direct reports in the production of timely, high quality technology support and service.
- Convey NAFSA’s strategic and operational needs to vendors; translate those needs into appropriate scopes of work, timelines, work plans, and budgets.
- Partner closely with numerous external vendors providing technology infrastructure support; ensure contracts and service level agreements are fulfilled; lead contract review and renewal process for systems identified in annual workplan.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses as a precursor to the period vendor contract renewal cycle.
- Coordinate event technology contract formulation, review, and renewals for final sign-off by internal business owners.
- Monitor contract service level agreements and spending against annual allocated budgets.
- Consult with supervisor on the strategies, problem-solving and accomplishments of the team.
Perform other duties as assigned to support strategic goals and objectives (5%)
Event Technology Manager Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 5 years successful experience working within project-based work structures, developing or leading programs or projects, and effectively managing tasks and timelines.
- Power user or administrator of event management and virtual event platforms such as CadmiumCD, SwapCard, event registration and other platforms.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively supporting end users of web-based applications, with a strong customer service orientation.
- Proven ability to conduct research into and resolve product and service-related issues.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple streams of work, prioritizing appropriately, and problem solving effectively in complex situations.
- Flexibility, multi-task orientation, creativity, and ability to work in a fast-paced team environment as well as independently.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
- Great work ethic and intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to deal tactfully with and elicit cooperation from a wide variety of stakeholders and vendors. Persuasive, encouraging, and diplomatic.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to quickly learn and master additional proprietary software such as iMIS, Informz, etc.
- Ability to effectively research a wide range of issues when troubleshooting user problems.
- Superb interpersonal skills with the ability to assist users of various skill levels and backgrounds on technical systems and procedures.
- Ability to present ideas with technical language in both a user-friendly and business-friendly manner.
- Effective team collaborator with excellent oral and written communication skills; at ease leading meetings and trainings, listening, and problem-solving.
- Excellent ability to prioritize and execute tasks under pressure.
- Experience with NAFSA, international education, nonprofit or membership organizations.
- Direct experience with Cvent, CadmiumCD, and SwapCard.
- Experience with technology system evaluation and procurement.
- Experience with budget planning and management.
- Digital Event Strategist certification.
Scope of Supervision
The Event Technology Manager has supervisory responsibility for the Event Technology Specialist.
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
Total compensation for employment at NAFSA entails a competitive employee benefits package including:
- Competitively priced medical and dental insurance plans with CareFirst and MetLife
- 403(b) retirement plan with eligibility for 5% employer contribution
- Generous paid vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave plans
- Thirteen paid holidays
- Fully paid group life and disability insurance coverage
- Health and dependent care flexible spending account plans
- Pre-tax parking and transportation plans
- Opportunities for professional development and partial tuition reimbursement
- Free onsite fitness center and secure bicycle parking
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With more than 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States. We are an organization of individuals who believe that: international education advances learning and scholarship; strengthens America’s diplomatic ties with countries across the globe and is an integral part of national security; and is essential for developing globally competent individuals. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all. NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert