Program Manager, Volunteer and Member Engagement
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Washington D.C.
- Salary range minimum: $55,000
- Closing date
- Apr 30, 2023
- Position Type
- Manager, Program Manager
- Employment Type
- Organization Type
Position Summary: Reporting to the Senior Director, Education Abroad and Volunteer Engagement, the Program Manager is responsible for implementing a comprehensive structure to promote volunteer and member engagement in partnership with the senior director and other senior leadership. This entails developing and implementing a strategy and process to recruit and recognize volunteers and to support member engagement and member interest communities. The Program Manager identifies new and expanded ways for the NAFSA community to engage with their association.
The Program Manager works closely with the senior director and interacts daily with volunteers, leaders, and members. The Program Manager serves as a staff partner to the member engagement committee (MEC) and the 30+ member interest group (MIG) leaders. The role requires continuous assessment and reflection on current processes and structures to identify effective and efficient engagement.
The position requires a collaborative relationship with NAFSA’s marketing, membership, and technology solutions teams.
The Program Manager will represent NAFSA at various events (in-person and virtually), as needed.
Major Functions and Responsibilities:
Manage pan-NAFSA leadership processes and recruitment appointed leaders. (25%)
- Create annual volunteer leadership calendar and identify milestones for staff partners.
- Create and distribute annual work plan templates.
- Collaborate with staff partners to outline and implement a process for recruiting volunteers to serve as appointed leaders, ensuring that deadlines and priorities are met.
- Design an outreach strategy to promote the benefits of leadership and solicit applications for open positions. Coordinate with Marketing staff for email marketing, social media, and website content.
- Design and refine an online application platform to manage applications, communications, and confirmations, in consultation with Technology Solutions staff.
- Coordinate, distribute and analyze results of end-of-year volunteer survey.
- Provide guidance and tools for onboarding and offboarding leaders.
- Maintain and improve web pages that showcase leadership opportunities with NAFSA.
- Coordinate catering and A/V for leadership meetings at the NAFSA Annual Conference.
- Support recognition activities of leadership via annual conference signage, leader pins/ribbons, and certificates.
- Provide logistical and administrative support to the NAFSA Annual Awards program, in close coordination with the Senior Director.
Develop and implement a strategy for volunteer recognition. (20%)
- Inventory benefits to volunteers and suggest low-cost enhancements.
- Coordinate NAFSA’s annual plans to recognize leaders during National Volunteer Week (mid-April), coordinating with staff partners, including Marketing staff, as needed.
- Explore other times and venues for highlighting leaders and leadership (e.g. annual conference, regional conferences, WLM, end of year).
- Support senior director with NAFSA Awards promotion and process.
Manage Member Interest Groups (MIGs). (20%)
- Serve as staff partner to MIG leaders, in collaboration with the MEC.
- Facilitate the success of MIGs with appropriate communication, meeting agendas, in consultation with senior director and the chair of MEC.
- Facilitate the implementation of MIG guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Manage application process for MIG approval.
- Onboard new MIG leaders, develop trainings for MIG leaders on best practices, adhering to MIG Guidance.
- Manage MIG annual conference events including the Leader Luncheon, open meetings, and other programming.
- Monitor MIG inbox and Network.NAFSA online communities.
Serve as staff liaison partner for the Member Engagement Committee (MEC). (15%)
- Guide the MEC chair and chair-elect to ensure effective action to achieve the deliverables and outcomes in their work plans. Provide a structure in Network.NAFSA for the sharing of resources and tools.
- Provide information, direction, and guidance each year for the preparation of planning documents and work with the Chair-Elect to produce a final version for presentation to the Vice President / Education and Professional Development.
- Ensure that open volunteer leader positions are promoted widely throughout the association.
- Support the Chair in orienting new members and ls.
- Ensure that the engagement opportunities are identified and promoted in a timely manner.
- Propose budget for supporting MEC and MIG.
- Collaborate with Membership staff to ensure that activities complement and promote membership and its value.
Provide technical support to the unit. (15%)
- Manage online events by training presenters, and facilitating technology. Manage virtual meeting support, which includes the registration process, communication with customers and presenters, and running the platform during the event.
- Update records in customer relations management system (iMIS) to reflect leadership activities.
Assist with other projects and duties as assigned. (5%)
- Research topics as assigned by the senior director.
- Travel as needed for conferences and meetings.
- Support the deputy executive director on special projects.
- Bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum two (2) years of work experience in a professional / office setting
- A track record of excellent customer relations support using a variety of communication mediums and platforms
- Demonstrated ability to plan, take initiative, set priorities, and exercise sound judgment in a complex, fast-moving environment
- Experience with database software, as well as various web or cloud-based conferencing platforms
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Adaptable to changing priorities, willingness to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Degree in a related field (education, international affairs, non-profit management)
- Experience in higher education
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Experience with project management and database software
- Experience with customer relationship management systems
- Exposure to or experience in volunteer engagement and/or international education
- Previous experience with NAFSA, international education, or other association membership, or nonprofit organization
Scope of Supervision
The position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference, regional meetings, and other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With more than 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States. We are an organization of individuals who believe that: international education advances learning and scholarship; strengthens America’s diplomatic ties with countries across the globe and is an integral part of national security; and is essential for developing globally competent individuals. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all. NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
1425 K Street NW
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert