California Connections Academy is a network of tuition-free public online schools for students in grades K-12. The network of schools is operated by the nonprofit California Online Public Schools and currently includes six schools serving students in 32 counties in California, including Orange County. California Connections Academy schools are accredited by the Schools Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Working from either the Ripon or San Juan Capistrano office with potential work from home options, the Assistant Director of Student Services will manage educational needs for our students with disabilities while working collaboratively with our partner school districts. The Assistant Director will work directly under the Director of Student Services and will ensure that the school operates in compliance with all California and federal regulations as it pertains to ELL, 504 and Special Education. Please note that travel throughout the state of California may be needed.
The Assistant Director of Student Services will work collaboratively with the Director of Student Services to make certain that the school is providing appropriate programs in the least restrictive environment for all students with special needs. Duties will include management and participation in pre-referral and IEP committee processes, maintenance of student data, communication with parents, collaboration with resident school districts throughout the state, and the following:
- Maintain documentation within Connexus as well as SEIS capturing and organizing special education timelines and data;
- Collaborate with resident school districts to schedule and participate in IEP committee during open enrollment periods to determine if virtual education would be appropriate program to meet student's needs;
- Perform duties as LEA
- Communicate and consult with teachers and learning coaches regarding the instructional program for students with disabilities, and students with other special needs such as students with 504 plans
- Oversee the development, tracking, dissemination and proper implementation of IEP or 504 plan mandated accommodations for students with special needs during state testing events;
- Collaborate with corporate staff in Baltimore and members of the local school team concerning all facets of programming for students with special needs;
- Coordinate and contract with related service providers for students who are in need of them;
- Collaborates with the Tulare SELPA in regards to special education compliance in the virtual program;
- Work directly with parents, as needed, to answer questions, ensure that all school actions are in compliance, and that students are learning in the Least Restrictive Environment;
- Develop a working knowledge of Connections Academy's curriculum options, and how they can be adapted and implemented to meet specific student needs. Introduce new ways of supporting special needs students in a virtual environment;
- Plan, implement, and evaluate staff in-service activities; and
- Performs such other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Support Services, Principal or corporate Director of Special Education.
- Current California teacher Certification
- A minimum of 3 years fulltime successful teaching experience in special education or other setting
- Candidate will be able to pull, filter, and analyze subsequent data for proper new reporting protocols for the overall school.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Customer focused approach
- High degree of flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
- Technologically proficient (especially with Microsoft Office products)
- Occasional travel to other CalCA offices required
- Occasional travel to assist with academic screenings and state testing organization / implementation required
- Masters' Degree in Special Education or related Education Field
- Administrative Credential
- Experience working with students with 504 plans
- Experience working with students who are identified with ELL needs
Based on experience and education, this position pays between $85-95k.