Assistant Director of International Student Services
The Assistant Director is responsible for the provision of SEVIS reporting, immigration advising, related services, and programming in support of IUPUI’s 1,700+ international students. This position provides operational leadership for a team of 4 full-time staff - 3 international student advisors and 1 international student services specialist - within the International Student and Scholar Services unit. This position provides management of international student advising services, including immigration advising and support services utilized by international students, with particular attention to orientation programming, maintenance of legal status, assistance with applications for student immigration benefits, travel and employment guidance, and dependent issues.
- Administers services and programs as needed to support students in their adjustment to life at IUPUI and in the United States, and assists students in crisis. Cooperates with units campus-wide to encourage and/or create programs which promote the enrollment yield, retention, success and inclusion of international students overall. Serves as advocate for international student needs on campus. Addresses cultural adjustment concerns, and educates international students on university policies and procedures. Assists students in working with government agencies when necessary, such as Immigration and Customs Enforcement, BMV, SSA, FBI, etc. Communicates changes in immigration regulations to students, updates procedures, policies and materials accordingly. Coordinates services with units requiring specialized interaction, such as Client Services, International Admissions, Sponsored Student Services, the Program for Intensive English, University College, Graduate Office, and others. Serves as Designated School Official (DSO). Oversees IUPUI F-1 and J-1 student SEVIS compliance, including enrollment tracking and timely reporting according to Department of Homeland Security regulations. Keeps abreast of immigration regulations, updating institutional procedures and policies. Serves as campus-wide liaison and resource, providing training programs and materials where needed. Provides assistance and expertise for campus departments wanting to facilitate the international student experience. Serves as primary contact for Bursar's Office with operations concerned with student fee payment and scholarships. Administers mandatory health insurance program for international students, including communications, billing, and waivers. Serves as a liaison with insurance company, and serves on systemwide International Student Insurance Committee to assist in contributing to decisions made regarding provision of insurance benefits to students. Develops administrative policies and procedures as it affects International Student Services in coordination with the Director for Student and Scholar Services. Utilizes and further develops systems to enhance the provision of services, flow of information, and reports for interoffice operations. Serves as primary lead on use of the Sunapsis International Office Module for provision of services to students, including development of eforms, checklists, and scheduling services. Ensures appropriate training of new student services staff on Sunapsis functionality. Supervises work activities of full-time International Student Advisors and International Student Services Specialist and other staff, as needed. Conducts team meetings, provides training, and monitors performance of Student Services staff. Performs various personnel functions. Communicates as needed with Client Services to ensure compliance and the provision of advising, communication and services provided through the front desk.
- Provides operational leadership and coordination of assigned staff members. Assists in development of international services methodologies and standards; provides direction and guidance on high priority international services projects/initiatives. Establishes short-term business plans and long-term operational objectives, including managing project timelines/deliverables and developing resource plans for multi-project/multiphase international services initiatives. Conducts a variety of personnel actions to include, but not limited to hiring, promotion, performance management, and dismissal. Manages assignments and allocation of international services resources, including negotiating and coordinating initiatives that involve staff in other departments/areas/teams; may coordinate international services projects with a wide audiences in support of academic initiatives. Makes budgetary recommendations based on resource needs and ensures cost containment. Stays up-to-date on new industry standards, trends, decisions, and ideas; responsible for the implementation of new protocols/procedures to address business needs. Works collaboratively with other international services departments in recommending standards, best practices, and related policies/procedures. Prepares management reports and summaries for senior administration, executive, steering and advisory committees; acts as advisor to executive committees; serves on various university committees, communities of practice, and task forces related to international services.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Master's degree in International Education, Intercultural Communications, Higher Education Administration, or other related field
- 3 years in relevant area of specialization
- 2 years of experience in international student advising and SEVIS compliance
- 3 years of experience in the field of higher education/student affairs
- Some supervisory experience
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent collaboration and team building skills
- Effectively coaches and delivers constructive feedback
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Effective conflict management skills
- Builds and manages effective teams
- Thorough knowledge of Department of Homeland Security regulations on F-1 and J-1 students
- Proficiency in computer applications and information systems
- Ability to conceptualize effective use of systems to support efficient design of service delivery
- Ability to promote international student inclusion and success
- Specialized experience in serving the unique needs of international students
- Ability to utilize a computer
Linking to: jobs.iu.edu, it is a staff position, Job ID 304478, Assistant Director, International Student Services (International Services Leader).