Assistant International Student Advisor
Assist in the processing and preparation of immigration documents for F-1 and J-1 students. Ensure university's compliance with federal regulations and keep detailed records of all processes. Provide excellent communication to international students and campus community.
- Correspond and communicate with international students on a variety of issues associated with their immigration status at the university. Coordinate general communications for the student advising unit and disseminate communications to international students and campus constituents.
- Serve as DHS Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for routine SEVIS records maintenance and record updates to ensure federal compliance for both the university and the individual student. Process immigration documents and immigration applications for international students. Communicate with federal agencies regarding immigration benefits for international students.
- Provide walk-in support to international students, including travel signatures, course drop letters, and social security letters. Work closely with front desk staff to triage telephone and walk-in inquiries.
- Actively participate in the development and growth of team expertise in the laws and regulations governing international students and in advising/informing university administrators about university policies and procedures that ensure ongoing compliance. Work closely with ISSS leadership, as needed, to ensure proper understanding and application of immigration regulations and university policies, taking appropriate initiative and exercising discretion within the scope of assigned duties.
- Provide support to overall functions of office where needed; actively support the critical priorities of ISSS and Texas Global; serve on internal committees and participate in work groups to support the mission of the unit.
Bachelor's degree and one year of related international experience. Effective problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative. Evidence of strong organizational abilities and the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced, high-volume, environment. Excellent written communication skills with a high attention to detail. Ability to be diplomatic, composed, and proactive in varied interactions. Strong understanding of intercultural communication with documented experience in public speaking and delivering presentations. Excellent professional demeanor. Ability to work independently and as a team member. Commitment to high quality and efficient customer service to faculty, staff, and external partners. Due to federal database access requirements, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply for this position. Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Direct experience advising international students on F-1 regulations in a university context.