Director, English Language Institute
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Knoxville, Tennessee
- Expected salary $80,000 - $90,000
- Closing date
- Apr 14, 2023
- Global Education
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Organization Type
- College / University
The Director will provide leadership and strategic direction for ELI by executing strategy development and implementation. This will be accomplished by analyzing new business opportunities and developing innovative programs that generate revenue to sustain the operations of the English Language Institute. The Director will create and sustain a business model that is nimble and responds to the changing landscape of global post-secondary education. In collaboration with the CGE leadership team, the Director will work to accomplish the goals of the global vision, develop and manage budgets, provide expertise and analysis for long-range strategic planning, and translate the strategic plans into operational plans. In addition, the director provides operational support, consults with the Assistant Director on curricular and student matters, oversees the bookkeeping and administrative specialist work, approves expenditures, serves as a DSO and may occasionally substitute teach.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Linguistics, English, Second Language Acquisition, Educational Administration
- 5+ years teaching English for speakers of other language (ESOL)
- 3+ years administration of university intensive English program.
- Experience writing and managing grant awards.
- Experience with program development and implementation
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of intensive English language education.
- Ability to approach strategic planning with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing, directing, and facilitating.
- Consulting, problem-solving, and collaborative skills.
- High level of analytical and decision-making skills.
- Ability to analyze complex situations and provide and implement successful solutions.
- Ability to develop and lead and motivate successful teams.
- Ability to define work objectives, plans, priorities to delegate routine tasks.
- Ability to create short- and long-range strategic plans and forecasts.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Doctoral degree in Linguistics, English, Second Language Acquisition, Educational Administration
- Experience with computer assisted language learning (CALL)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of immigration policy and issuance of I-20s for F1 students
- Knowledge of placement instruments/methodology for English language learners
- Working knowledge of at least one foreign language (especially French, Spanish, Chinese or Arabic)
- Experience working in the ESOL field in a non-English-speaking country
- Ability to network in the ELP and EAP professional arenas
- Interest in development of innovative approaches to ESOL instruction
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert