Undergraduate Admissions Recruiter
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Undergraduate Admissions Recruiter.
Location Gulf Park
730 East Beach Boulevard
Long Beach, Mississippi, 39560
Division Office of the Provost - GP
Position Type Staff
Employment Status Full Time
Grant Funded No
Salary Range 35,568.00 - 44,520.00
Posting Close Date Open Until Filled
The admissions recruiter plays a critical role in the Office of Admissions and Office of the Provost - Gulf Park, representing the institution to prospective students and to the external community at large. Admissions recruiters are responsible for planning and implementing recruitment initiatives for assigned territories to identify prospective students, build relationships with those students and their families, and advise them through the application and enrollment processes. As part of this work, admissions recruiters routinely attend recruitment fairs and other similar opportunities for outreach and participant in on-campus, off-campus, and virtual events to connect with prospects. Through layered outreach and prospect management, admissions recruiters contribute significantly to institutional efforts to raise the institutional profile and enhance enrollment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain active list of schools, businesses, and organizations in assigned territory that serve as avenues for student communication and contact; remain in contact with key individuals at those sites, providing up-to-date information, answering questions, offering presentations, and gathering contact information for potential student recruits.
- Proactively reach out to prospective students throughout the application lifecycle to support their movement through interest, application, admission, and registration and attendance at Orientation. Maintain enthusiastic contact with prospective students and their families as they move through the funnel, directing them to appropriate campus resources as appropriate.
- Maintain, track, and report on data regarding student contact and response over time to contribute to larger enrollment management data analysis efforts.
- Respond effectively and thoroughly to internal and external inquiries about institutional resources and opportunities through email, phone, and face-to-face conversations.
- Work collaboratively with the academic colleges and schools, ensuring an open flow of communication between enrollment management areas and the academic partners.
- Contribute to area-wide efforts to promote and highlight institutional successes, scholarship opportunities, recruitment events, and other critical opportunities to raise the profile of the university and enhance recruitment.
- Extensive travel to assigned territory, including overnight travel.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited College or University in a communications or related discipline, and one year of employment experience in higher education, marketing, recruitment, and/or sales. Driver’s license required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrates a high level of organizational skill and the ability to manage multiple tasks to completion under tight time constraints.
- Knowledge of college degree programs and requirements
- Skilled use of Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to travel with overnight stay required.
- Leverages professional expertise and University knowledge to assess areas of opportunity, identify solutions and effectively execute an effective recruitment plan based on best practices.
- Ability to work successfully with diverse populations
- Ability to seek advice and input from others, recognize when to escalate issues or seek help, and adjust behavior based on feedback.
- Ability to build and manage productive relationships with peers, leaders, and customer groups. Skilled engagement of others to collaborate and provide value-added support that enhances department results and team effectiveness. Skilled in influencing outcomes and direction of customer’s decisions through effective relationships, trust, and credibility.
- Ability to deliver accurate, concise, and high quality communication (verbal and written) in a timely manner. Encourages an open exchange of ideas and differing perspectives. Skilled at adapting communication style to meet the needs of diverse audiences and situations and active listening to understand others. Able to provide quality feedback.
- Ability to use personal credit card for necessary travel expenses prior to reimbursement.
Prior work in college recruitment with demonstrated results. Prior experience with data management and analysis.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 131 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and large event venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 37 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.