Reports to: Principal/Head of schools
General Description and Goals:
Security Paraprofessional will assist teachers in providing an innovative, high quality education program designed to meet the needs of the children in the Boston Public Schools. Security Paraprofessional will work with school staff to create an educational environment in which quality and continuity are key factors in educating the students of the Boston Public Schools.
The primary responsible of the Security Paraprofessional is to maintain the safety and security of school hallways, classrooms, common areas and school grounds.
- Assist in the arrival and dismissal of students.
- Manage PM detention hall.
- Monitor the front door and visitor pass program.
- Unlock lavatories and maintain a log of student use.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Headmaster.
Qualifications - Required:
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Forty-eight (48) Credit Hours of College Coursework or an Associate's Degree, or a passing score on one of the two following Formalized Standardized Assessments: ParaPro Assessment (http://www.ets.org/parapro/) or WorkKeys Certificate of Proficiency for Teacher Assistants (http://www.act.org/workkeys/profcert/index.html).
- Minimum of two years experience working with young children
- Current authorization to work in the United States - Candidates must have such authorization by their first day of employment
Qualifications - Preferred:
- Associate's or Bachelor's Degree.
- Experience working with adolescents.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural/multi-ethnic setting.
- BPS values linguistic diversity and believes that candidates who speak another language bring added value to the classroom, school, and district culture and diversity. BPS is particularly interested in candidates who are fluent in one of BPS' official languages:Spanish, Creole (Cape Verdean), Creole (Haitian), Chinese, Vietnamese, Portuguese, & Somali.
Terms: BTU, Paraprofessional hourly rate
Please refer to the Salary Information section on the Career Site for more information on compensation. Salaries are listed by Union and Grade/Step.
The start and end times of BPS schools vary, as do the lengths of the school day. Some BPS schools have a longer school day through the "Schedule A" Expanded Learning Time (ELT) agreement.
The Boston Public Schools, in accordance with its nondiscrimination policies, does not discriminate in its programs, facilities, or employment or educational opportunities on the basis of race, color, age, criminal record (inquiries only), disability, homelessness, sex/gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics or military status, and does not tolerate any form of retaliation, or bias-based intimidation, threat or harassment that demeans individuals' dignity or interferes with their ability to learn or work.