NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
The Technology Solutions Specialists’ role is to deliver support to and educate end users in the organization about how to use various types of association software programs efficiently and effectively in fulfilling business objectives. This position supports day-to-day operations for web applications and technologies used by NAFSA’s staff, association members, and other stakeholders.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Strategy and Planning (5%)
- Evaluate and analyze documented resolutions and trends for service desk issues; recommend ways to prevent recurring issues.
- Alert team and managers to emerging trends in incident reports.
Acquisition and Development (10%)
- Conduct research into software application products and services in support of development and purchasing efforts.
- Provide support for the testing of new and existing software applications under development or consideration for purchase.
System Administration and Support (60%)
- Actively support a portfolio of applications by fielding incoming service desk tickets from end users to resolve application and software issues within mission-critical systems (These may include NAFS’s AMS, LMS, event technology, surveys, SaaS products, data visualization, etc.).
- Assist with producing reports and data outputs from supported systems.
- Work within service-level agreements with end users and provide technical support for these users.
- Document all pertinent end user identification information, including name, department, contact information, and nature of problem or issue.
- Prioritize, schedule, and administer all instances where enhancements and defect resolution are required.
- Record, track, and document the problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made and actions taken, to arrive at final resolution.
- Communicate application problems and issues to key stakeholders, including management, development teams, end users, and unit leaders.
- Perform monthly audit of SaaS licenses (Dropbox, O365, RingCentral, anti-virus, etc.) to optimize license utilization across the organization.
- Assist Technology Support Manager with Annual. Conference computer equipment setup in all areas where NAFSA has purchased internet access including but not limited to the NAFSA Staff Office, Registration, Expo Hall, Pavilion, Bookstore, etc.
- Support other members of the team in interdependent projects and tasks.
Documentation, Training and Communication (20%)
- Develop and maintain current documentation on all supported systems to support knowledge transfer across the team and the organization.
- Cross-train technology team members in support of NAFSA’s technology environment.
- Formulate and conduct training sessions and teaching materials for transferring knowledge of enterprise software applications throughout the organization.
- Assist Technology Support Manager in providing end-user support and training for software productivity applications such as: RingCentral telephony, Dropbox, SmartSheet, etc.
Perform other duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- One to two years’ experience servicing an IT Help, or hands-on experience providing end-user support for web-based software applications.
- Evidence of ongoing training to demonstrate you are keeping pace with today’s technical roles and requirements.
- Proven ability to use, teach, and troubleshoot a variety of software such as Microsoft O365, telephony or other SaaS products.
- Effective and friendly communication skills and the ability to work with all levels of management and staff to carefully listen to issues and provide effective response and solutions.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Strong team collaboration skills.
- Reliable self-starter who takes initiative.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage competing priorities while meeting deadlines and executing responsibilities with minimal errors.
- Strong problem-solving/troubleshooting abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; specific emphasis on accurate and detailed documentation.
- Experience with nonprofit, education, or international education institutions.
- Knowledge of data management; ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Exposure to project-based work structures and working on project teams.
- Help Desk certification, such as A+ (CompTIA), ITIL, Windows 10, or other relevant Microsoft certifications.
- Ability to research and diagnose PC and laptop hardware and software problems.
Scope of Supervision
The position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel and weekend work is required occasionally. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities in the U.S.
Total Compensation and Benefits
The hiring range for this full-time, 35-hour per week Technology Solutions Specialist position begins at $53,000. Total compensation for employment at NAFSA entails a competitive employee benefits package including:
- Competitively priced medical and dental insurance plans with CareFirst and MetLife
- 403(b) retirement plan with eligibility for a 5% employer contribution
- Generous paid vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave plans
- Thirteen paid holidays
- Fully paid group life and disability insurance coverage
- Health and dependent care flexible spending account plans
- Pre-tax parking and transportation plans
- Opportunities for professional development and partial tuition reimbursement
- Free onsite fitness center and secure bicycle parking
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.