International Student Advisor
Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Logo Institution South Dakota State University Working Title International Student Advisor Posting Number NFE01939P Department SDSU-International Affairs Physical Location of Position (City) Brookings Posting Text
International Student Advisor
South Dakota State University
The Office of International Affairs (OIA) at South Dakota State University (SDSU) is seeking a creative and innovative professional to join our team as an International Student Advisor. OIA strives to ensure that international students meet their educational goals and help them build an understanding of U.S. culture. This position is located in Brookings, South Dakota and is a 12 month, full-time, benefits-eligible position. This position is supervised by the Director of International Student and Scholars.
OIA is a comprehensive home for international student and scholar services, international undergraduate admission, study abroad planning and community connections programs. All services and activities are intended to help enrich the experience of international students here at SDSU and to expand global engagement for all students, faculty, and staff.
South Dakota State University promotes access to and opportunities for all to receive the benefit of and participate in education, research, and service and is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to this land-grant mission of access.
This position provides services to potential and current international students and their family members; provides preliminary immigration advice to the students by educating students on the federal government naturalization and immigration regulations; keeping students in compliance with university, state, & federal guidelines; Overseeing and implementing the office's international orientation program each semester as well as other programming opportunities in the office.
- Bachelor's Degree completed by first day of employment;
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position;
- Minimum of three years of professional experience, of which at least 6 months of experience must have been within the field of international education;
- Ability to assume Alternative Responsible Officer (ARO) status for SDSU's U.S. Department of State approved J-1 Exchange Visitor Program and Designated School Official (DSO) status for the F-1 student program. Pursuant to 22 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Part A §62.2, ARO Status requires U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residence status. DSO Status also requires U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residence status, per Department of Homeland Security regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work as a contributing team member;
- Demonstrated use of technology in managing or delivering educational programs; and
- Demonstrated ability or potential to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate educational materials and direct effective programs.
- Master's Degree completed by first day of employment, with one year of professional experience, of which at least 6 months of experience must have been within the field of international education, which may include Graduate Assistant experience;
- Possess knowledge and experience with university policies pertaining to international students and federal laws affecting international students coming to the U.S.;
- Understanding of International Affairs, and diversity initiatives/education; ability to apply student development theory, supervise, and enforce policies; and
- Basic computer/website skills.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of excellent benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions. We offer a generous retirement plan that includes 6% matching, 10 hours of annual leave each month, 9.34 hours of sick leave each month, and eleven paid holidays. Relocation benefits are available per university's guidelines.
This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, resume, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university's verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment. It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University's Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.
Posting Date 03/24/2023 Closing Date Open Until Filled Yes First Consideration Date 04/14/2023 Advertised Salary Duration of the Term 12 months If Other, describe duration Appointment Percent 100 Work Hours Typical Hours Worked Per Week Appointment Type Regular Faculty Status No Scope of Search External (includes Internal) If internal, define scope of search This position requires No Requirement If other, please indicate Department Description and Cultural Expectations
South Dakota State University is the state's largest, most comprehensive university with over $60 million annual research expenditures, more than 200 academic programs and an enrollment of approximately 12,000 students. We offer a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusions and access. The university is part of a dynamic community for families, students, young professionals, and retirees, which offers an abundance of attractions and activities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
South Dakota State University promotes access to and opportunities for all to receive the benefit of and participate in education, research, and service and is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to this land-grant access mission. SDSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to, and SDSU prohibits discrimination on, the basis of, sex, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran's status, or any other status that may become protected in the offering of all educational programs and employment. Arrangements for accommodation required by disabilities can be made by emailing HR@sdstate.edu. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Morrill Hall 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.
For questions on the position, contact search committee chair, Cassandra Stangeland at 605-688-4122 or Cassandra.Stangeland@sdstate.edu
Please check the appropriate response that describe the cognitive requirements for this position. Comprehend, Frequent Change, Memory, Multiple Priorities, Reasoning, Verbal Communication, Written Communication, Pace-average
Please check the appropriate response for this position's use of the following protective clothing or equipment. If other protection is used please identify
Please designate the physical requirements of this position Describe any of the conditions selected
Typical Office work.
Please check the appropriate response that describe the sensory requirements for this position.
Working Conditions & Exposures
Working Conditions or Exposures (or potential exposures) that this position may encounter during the course of the work day. Please describe, in more detail, any of the conditions checked above
Check the appropriate box(es) that best describes the environment in which the primary function of the position is performed. Office Environment If you have indicated Other Environment, if work tasks involve one or more of the above, or if further explanation is necessary, please use the space provided.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Where did you hear about this position?
- SDBOR Employment Site
- South Dakota Department of Labor
- Employee Referral
- Department Announcement / Inside State
- Job Board (Indeed, Monster, ZipRecruiter) - Please specify
- Industry Conference
- Search Engine - Please specify
- Employment Agency - Please specify
- Newspaper - Please specify
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn) - Please specify
- Radio - Please specify
- List Servs - Please specify
- Other - Please specify
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List