The Assistant Director of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) manages advising and operational responsibilities for International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) at the Middlebury Institute in Monterey, CA. The Assistant Director assesses nuanced situations, applies regulatory and policy guidance, advises international students, completes complex and detailed actions to ensure institutional and student/scholar compliance with federal immigration-related regulations, and continually improves and delivers high quality immigration services and support programs to our international community.
This position is located in Monterey California at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies.
This is considered a full time benefits eligible position. The starting salary range for the position is $59,000- $88,600.00 per year.
Learn more about our Compensation structure at this link.
- Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer(ARO) in the U.S. Government's Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) for both Middlebury Institute and Middlebury College. Assist Director with federal requirements and program management for SEVIS and our F-1 and J-1 Exchange Visitor programs to ensure compliance.
- Responsible for comprehensive immigration and visa-related services for ourinternational community. Provide accurate, well-informed, and timely U.S. immigration and visa-related advising, programs, and services to the Middlebury Institute'sinternational population, especially F-1 and J-1 students (including recent alumni whoremain under our sponsorship) and may handle similar work for other Middlebury programs. Educate constituents about federal regulations and related procedures anddeliver information in a clear and caring way.
- Identify action items, troubleshoot issues that arise, and initiate responses independently. Collaborate with Director and institutional partners, as needed.Partner with Director to create and implement policy and procedures, communications strategies, and support programs to help our internationalcommunity achieve their goals and to further Middlebury's internationalization objectives.
- Initiate and help establish and institute immigration and visa-related policy and related workflow processes as well as procedures documentation with the Director and ISSSteam members. Create and present recommendations to improve effectiveness and efficiency of ISSS.
- Monitor SEVIS alerts and address issues directly or in conjunction with ISSS teammembers. (Note: ISSS currently uses SEVIS RTI-Real Time Interactive and hopes to be moving to a case management system in the future.) Assist Director with SEVIS recertification and redesignation processes, as needed.
- Design and implement, improve, and maintain new and existing support programs for international students based on institutional or student needs. Design and implementin-person and online training workshops on topics of interest to international students,or that fill institutional communication needs. Organize, establish, and lead internationalstudent orientation sessions. Educate international students and the campuscommunity about requirements for employment authorization. Process studentapplications for practical (curricular and optional) and academic training employment authorization and collaborate with academic and career services colleagues to deliver appropriate support. Create and maintain ISSS web content.
- Lead and maintain day-to-day operations for ISSS in Monterey. Offer in-personsupport, travel signatures, and assistance to our international community-faculty, staff, scholars, and dependents, as needed. Serve as an on-the- ground, in-person presence for student and scholar check-ins.
- Responsible for life cycle recruitment and supervision of graduate intern/assistant, when applicable. Assist Director with ISSS team meeting content and ISSS planning/staff development sessions.