Concordia is a Lutheran higher education community committed to helping students develop in mind, body and spirit for service to Christ in the Church and in the world.
Concordia University Wisconsin-Ann Arbor seeks qualified applicants for the position of Assistant Vice President (AVP) for International Affairs. Reporting to the Provost, the AVP develops, leads and and coordinates all international initiatives of the university and serves as the Senior International Officer (SIO), representing the university internationally. The AVP for International Affairs leads the university's International Center, which develops strategies and offers programs that foster inclusion of international students in the university community and that support and promote international academic opportunities for students who are US citizens. This is a full-time, exempt position which resides at the Mequon, WI campus, but requires extensive international travel (up to 35% of the time) and a working familiarity with a variety of cultures.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Officially represent Concordia University to international constituents, partners, and government agencies
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with universities, government agencies, and other entities outside the US to further Concordia's educational mission
- Discover, evaluate, cultivate and collaborate with domestic and international partners to advance Concordia's mission and international presence
- Ensure compliance with all domestic and international laws and regulations related to international education, including developing and overseeing contracts and agreements
- Ensure continued operation of the foreign legal entity that supports Concordia University personnel operating internationally including members of the Concordia Higher Education Consortium (CHEC)
- Serve as an effective public advocate for all university international initiatives
- Collaborate with academic departments and schools to develop study-abroad programs for US students as well as educational programs for international students (offered both domestically and abroad)
- Support and mentor international students studying at Concordia
- Collaborate with faculty to support international education, outreach, research, and exchange on both the Mequon, WI and Ann Arbor, MI campuses
- Lead and manage Concordia International Center staff to support strategic initiatives related to international education
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Clear alignment with and passion for Concordia's mission, especially as it concerns international endeavors
- Excellent written and oral communication and advocacy skills
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally for university business
- Demonstrated skill in working with people in cross-cultural situations
- Demonstrated ability to manage, evaluate, and lead a complex university organization
- Extensive international travel (up to 35% of the time) and a working familiarity with a variety of cultures
Education and Experience
- Member of a Christian (preferably Lutheran) congregation with a passion for Lutheran higher education
- Graduate degree in higher education, global affairs, international studies, or any related field
- Experience living or working abroad
- Demonstrated experience in successful completion of international initiatives, including international education, mission work, or other relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience leading and working with a team to achieve successful outcomes
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt (salary) staff position. The starting wage may be determined upon education and/or experience. Concordia University benefit options include, but are not limited to the following:
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Personal Spending Account, Flexible Spending Account, and/or Health Savings Account
- Disability and Survivor Plan
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Retirement 403(b) Savings Plan
- Basic Life and Supplemental Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage
- Critical Illness and Accident Insurance
- Tuition waiver benefits (available for employees and their qualified dependents)
- Vacation, Sick, and Holiday paid time off
Compensation and Benefits (Click to View)
To receive full consideration, all applicants are asked to complete and submit an online employment application through the Concordia University Employment page. To begin, please click the Apply Now section on the job page and then click the Apply For This Position button to begin the application process.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of CU to provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
The University will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, gender, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
However, CU is an institution of the LCMS and, to the extent allowed by law, CU reserves the right to give preference in employment based on religion. In addition, preference in holding certain employment positions is given to ordained or rostered ministers of the LCMS. Based on a religious tenet, CU recognizes only male, LCMS ordained Ministers of the Gospel, but recognizes both male and female LCMS Rostered Ministers of the Gospel.
The Human Resources Department has been appointed to manage the equal employment opportunity program, including all equal employment opportunity activities, as required by federal, state and local agencies. If any employee or applicant for employment believes this policy has been violated, he/she must contact the Director of Human Resources.
Concordia University is a HLC accredited, co-educational, liberal arts school offering more than 70 undergraduate majors, over 40 master's degree programs, and 4 doctoral programs. There are also a variety of accelerated evening and e-learning programs.