Inviting Applications and Nominations for Vice President for International Programs at Pima Community College Pima Community College
(PCC), one of the nation’s largest multi-campus community colleges, seeks an energetic, student-centered, and collaborative administrator for the role of Vice President for International Programs
. This senior administrator will have a demonstrated track record of success in planning and leading successful initiatives that recruit, retain, and support students from key international markets, along with the knowledge and experience to ensure compliance with all state, federal, and international policies and reporting regulations. Multilingual proficiency, especially in Spanish or Mandarin, is preferred. See complete information on this opportunity in the Search Profile at
https://myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/files/Pima-VP-IP.pdf ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Founded in 1966, Pima Community College (https://www.pima.edu/) is a two-year college that is built on a foundation of student success, community engagement, and diversity. Serving the greater Tucson, Arizona, metropolitan area through six campuses and more than 100 learning sites, PCC offers learners of all backgrounds and ages a variety of opportunities to meet their educational goals, including university transfer programs, occupational education programs, adult education/HSE preparation, workforce and business development, and continuing education.
Approximately 150 transfer and occupational programs are available, ranging from dental studies and respiratory care to aviation technology and logistics and supply chain management, to an Associate of Fine Arts or Associate of Applied Science in Accounting degree. The College has 258 full-time and education support faculty, 54 adjunct faculty, and 458 part-time support staff as well as 952 additional regular staff. The student-to-faculty ratio is only 16 to 1.
Serving nearly 50,000 credit and noncredit students each year, PCC is committed to providing convenient, affordable, and accessible high-quality education that has the power to transform the lives of students and improve the community. In Fall 2021, the enrollment was 57.8% female, 47.2% Hispanic/Latino, and 55.8% aged 18-24. More than 28% of the students take 12 or more credit hours.
Currently, PCC has between 200 and 300 inter-national students annually, primarily from Mexico, Vietnam, China, and Saudi Arabia. In its 2021-2025 Strategic Plan , the College prioritized increasing global diversity and connection within its student body. PCC seeks to enhance its student recruitment initiatives in Mexico, China, Vietnam, South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and other emerging markets.
The College has been recognized nationally for its programs and student services. The institution is a two-time semi-finalist for the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program, which recognizes colleges that continue to focus on student success, student learning, certificate and degree completion, employment and earnings, and high levels of access and success for minority and low-income students.
In 2020, the College earned a prestigious Bellwether Award for reinvention of its developmental program in mathematics. The College’s Adult Basic Education for College & Career’s IBEST initiative was one of only four programs in the U.S. to be recognized at the Advancing Innovation in Adult Education Showcase.
In 2018, PCC was one of eight colleges and universities nationwide selected by the Institute of International Education (IIE) to receive an IIE Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education, which honors the most forward-thinking and successful models for internationalizing the campus, study abroad, and international partnerships. THE OPPORTUNITY
Under the direction of the Vice Chancellor for External Relations, the Vice President for International Programs (Vice President) is responsible for providing vision, leadership and direction for the Pima Center for International Education and the integration of global education competencies throughout the College. This officer handles multiple responsibilities, solves complex problems, and is open to constant challenge and change.
The Vice President will be comfortable navigating international markets, either in person or virtually, and will lead the College in increasing global diversity from established and new markets. The ideal candidate will be multilingual to assist with communication across multiple key international markets. The work schedule for this position is flexible and includes working evenings and weekends. A current passport for international travel is required. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement a clear plan to recruit and retain international students for the College.
- Develop close relationships and partnerships across the College with those who are responsible for international student success, including international instructors, staff, College leadership and international partners.
- Provide assistance, support and guidance to international students and College areas working with these students to ensure regulatory compliance, personal and academic support, active engagement in activities, and a safe learning environment for Pima’s international student population.
- Develop key relationships with educational partners abroad and in the U.S., college leadership, instructors, staff, community members, and others that support the mission of international education and global awareness.
- Develop partnerships and consult with international institutions, U.S. embassies and consulates and foreign relations departments.
- Work closely with the College’s marketing area to ensure the promotion, branding, and advertising of Pima Community College in key international markets.
- Work with faculty and staff to infuse a global perspective throughout the campus, both inside and outside the classroom, that will support the College’s global education goals and general education outcomes.
- Support the development of educational opportunities abroad for Pima Community College students.
- Maximize the return on this investment for the College’s international programs through research and proposal writing, liaison with external contacts, workshop planning, developing new revenue streams and effective budgeting practices.
- Ensure that the College complies with all state, federal, and Higher Learning Commission policies and requirements.
- Knowledge of USCIS regulations and policies; SEVIS-related processes and federal regulations and reporting requirements that apply to international students.
- Ensure that international students and the College stay in compliance with all F-1 and J-1 immigration rules and regulations.
- Participate in professional development endeavors through membership with NAFSA and other professional associations in order to stay up to date on regulations and trends in international education.
- Serve as the Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) for the F-1 visa and the Responsible Officer (RO) for the J-1 visa, responsible for related reporting requirements, updates, and responses to routine Department of State (DOS) and SEVP/Homeland Security (HSI) requests.
- Liaison with external international recruitment partners to hold agencies accountable for results, including retention of international students.
- Recognize and create opportunities in response to emerging business and educational trends.
- Create and maintain a high level of staff morale conducive to the development of instructional and service innovations.
- Create a culture of collaboration utilizing data-informed decision making, leading to increased student enrollment, retention, and completion.
- Develop and manage instructional operating budgets and yearly instructional capital budget requests. Prepare and analyze administrative and statistical reports, statements, and correspondence.
- Develop and lead collaborative, cross-functional teams required to achieve program goals and objectives for assigned areas.
- Interpret and apply federal and state mandated guidelines and College policy and procedures.
- Coordinate the evaluation of programs to ensure goals, objectives, and the needs of the student population are met.
- Support the selection, training and motivation of faculty and staff.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the campus and College strategic plan.
- Participate and serve on various campus and college committees.
- Represent the College to the community and outside organizations collaborating relationships with the U.S. Department of State, foreign embassies, and consulates.
- Participate in community outreach and development activities, including development of external funding sources.
- Advise and respond to questions from departments and external agencies regarding assigned programs and services.
- Perform all or some of the responsibilities above and other related duties as assigned.
- Exercises supervision through those individuals who report directly and indirectly within the College.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with College policies and applicable laws.
- Is responsible for interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; evaluating performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Master’s degree in international relations, international affairs, or a related discipline and
- Ten (10) years of related experience required in the areas of international programming, international affairs, and campus administration and
- Six-plus (6+) years of progressively responsible management and leadership experience at the college or university level
- An equivalent combination of certification, education, and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job, such as those listed above
Multilingual proficiency (Spanish or Mandarin preferred) KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Overseas living and/or educational experience working with international students in a college or university environment
- Ability to travel internationally for two to three months per year
- Ability to socialize, recruit and otherwise perform in a wide variety of business, cultural and linguistic environments
- Ability to apply innovative and creative techniques and practices applicable to problem resolution and decision making
- Academic and administrative leadership, direction, and vision in program development
- Ability to develop and maintain cross-discipline/cross-functional communications, collaborations, and relationships
- Ability to identify, develop, and obtain external funding sources for the campus and district
- Ability to develop, interpret, and apply goals, objectives, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Ability to project a strong positive image of the College with parents, students, faculty, staff, and the community
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to monitor, evaluate, prioritize, and assign work to staff
- Ability to analyze problems and identify solutions and implement recommendations in support of goals
- Commitment to work in a multi-ethnic and multicultural environment with students, families, faculty, and staff
Located in southern Arizona, Tucson attracts residents with its affordable cost of living, sunny climate, strong higher education offerings, and beautiful setting. Ringed by dramatic mountain ranges that emphasize the great desert skies, the city has picturesque sunsets and a star-filled evening sky.
With more than a million people residing in the Tucson metro area, the city is a multi-cultural center, with a unique blend of Western, Mexican, and Native American influences. As the second largest city in Arizona, the city offers many of the amenities found in large metropolitan areas, including museums, live entertainment, performing arts, outstanding casual and fine dining, and a wide range of shopping options, from national stores to specialty boutiques.
Family friendly, the city has excellent public and private PK-12 schools, including charter schools. In addition to PCC, Tucson is home to the University of Arizona, which enrolls more than 45,000 undergraduate and graduate students. APPLICATION & NOMINATION PROCESS
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited. Applications
Application packet must include the following: a) cover letter, limited to two pages, that describes strengths, skills, and knowledge that will benefit this position, b) current résumé or curriculum vitae, and c) at least four work-related references with full contact and e-mail information (References will not be contacted without applicant’s consent.)
Submit application packet to Pima-VP-IP@myersmcrae.com
(preferably as PDFs) by May 19, 2023
, for best consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Nominations
Submit nominations to Pima-VP-IPfirstname.lastname@example.org
with contact and e-mail information on the individual being nominated. Consultant Kenny Daugherty
, President of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
, is assisting Pima Community College with this search. Request a conversation at KennyDaugherty@myersmcrae.com.
Equal Educational and Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
PCC is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice. The College values and celebrates our talented, diverse workforce and seeks to attract, hire, and support employees who consistently and actively embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are intentional about social justice, specifically, the active engagement toward equity and inclusion that addresses issues of institutional, structural, and environmental inequity, power, and privilege. See the PCC Diversity website for additional information about our commitment.
Pima Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation, or gender identity in employment, education, programs, services, or activities. The College encourages all interested individuals to apply. Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting www.myersmcrae.com | 478-330-6222