Instructor + Student Advisor
June 18, 2023 - August 5, 2023
We're looking for enthusiastic, creative people to ignite curiosity in students and help create an inclusive, safe, supportive, and joyful campus community.
EXPLO is a mission-driven, educational non-profit with more than 85,000 student alumni who hail from 90 countries. We offer residential summer programs for students in grades 4 through 12 on three of the most beautiful college campuses on the East Coast of the U.S. We strive to build a collaborative, transdisciplinary learning environment at our programs, where students drive their own learning through exploration.
For many, EXPLO is a life-changing experience. Our students sometimes describe it as the place where they feel like the truest version of themselves. As an organization, we believe learning should be joyful and create experiences with engagement, inclusion, and magic as first principles. Each summer we share these experiences with smart and curious students from all over the world.
Instructor + Advisors make up the base of a strong EXPLO community by working closely with students in the classroom and on their residential floors. Instructor + Advisors foster students' curiosities by teaching courses in subjects they are excited and passionate about. They care for and supervise groups of 14-30 students outside of the classroom by living on the residential floors. Instructor + Advisors will also assist with afternoon and evening programming to ensure all students have an unforgettable summer experience.
Want to learn more about what Courses + Electives are offered at EXPLO? Review the offerings for each Program on our website. After submitting this application, applicants will be sent a form to share their teaching interests and experience.
Classroom Instructor Responsibilities
- Prepare for and teach 1-3 courses/electives using EXPLO's project-based and experiential curriculum. (This curriculum will be shared with you as part of pre-summer coaching + training.)
- Work closely with your Instructional Coach throughout the summer, to revise lessons, incorporate feedback from classroom observations, follow up on student performance, and receive training in Professional Development and teaching skills
- Provide a safe and effective learning environment for program students by maintaining classroom spaces and materials to appropriate standards
Student Advisor Responsibilities
- Work with a co-Advisor to care for and advise a group of residential or day students in personal, social, and academic matters
- Providing a healthy, safe, and engaging living environment for students
- Work closely with Residence Directors to discuss strategies for community building within your advising group and individual student progress and receive feedback
Campus Operations + Student Life
- Lead and support group activities for students, which may range from extracurricular activities to supervising an evening event
- Chaperone students on evening and weekend trips off-campus
- Perform operational and programmatic tasks as needed, which may include assisting with event set up, working individually and as a team to complete tasks on campus that are necessary to program function, and performing additional duties as they may be assigned to you
EXPLO offers summer enrichment programs and runs this summer from June 18th to August 6th, 2023. This role is available at:
- EXPLO Junior, for students in grades 4-7 on the campus of Regis College in Weston, MA.
- EXPLO Senior, for students in grades 8-9 on the campus of Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, NY.
- EXPLO Pre-College, for students in grades 10-12 on the campus of Wellesley College in Wellesley, MA.
- A thorough understanding of the subject(s) you'd like to teach
- Availability to work on campus for the duration of the summer program
Ideally, you've also got:
- 2+ years of post-high school experience by the summer
- Some experience with kids and/or adolescents
Compensation + Benefits
This is a seven week, seasonal position that begins in mid- June 2023. Typical compensation for this role starts at $4,900 plus room and board. For the health and safety of our community, EXPLO requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Other benefits include:
- Room and board for the duration of 7-week program including all meals
- Staff-only affinity spaces and other professional support and development opportunities
- Access to a gym and other exercise equipment and spaces
- A week-long, hands-on Orientation and job training
- Best in the industry staff to student ratios
- Daily time off that typically includes every other night off and one weekend day per weekend off
- Openness to working with your college or university to support internship or practicum credit for your EXPLO work
Interested in learning more? You can start the conversation by pressing the "Apply for this job" button below. You can learn more about other positions, the application process, or read about former EXPLO faculty at our Faculty Hiring website or by contacting us at 781-762-7400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
EXPLO is an equal opportunity employer. We have a clear vision: to be an organization that attracts a diverse mix of talented people to come and do their best work. We are building a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
EXPLO, as a part of the Exploration School, does not discriminate on the basis of physical handicap, sex, race, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, or national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions, scholarships, or other social programs. It affords all students the rights and privileges that are generally made available at the School.
Please click here to learn more about our programs and policies.