Global Education Advisor
Job No: 497374
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Other, Academic Affairs
Bucknell University currently sends over 50% of its student population off campus and expects this number to grow. The Office of Global & Off-campus Education is responsible for advising these students on over 500 study abroad and domestic options. As an institution, Bucknell University is committed to enhancing the global mindset of its community, and strongly supports off-campus studies as one avenue through which students can become reflective and engaged global citizens.
This position is responsible for all aspects of advising, administration and programming for a portfolio of approved off-campus studies programs, including some faculty-led programs. In addition, this position is responsible for several areas critical to the office including, reentry programming, global learning programs, exchange programs, specific events and special projects as assigned.
This position reports directly to the Associate Director of Global Education.
11 months (August 1 through June 30)
The Advisor will have advising responsibilities for a portfolio of study abroad programs, including some faculty-led programs. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Meet with Bucknell students interested in study abroad and advise on program options.
• Work with students to identify the program most suitable to their academic needs, and provide guidance on application procedures.
• Work closely with faculty and administration in designated academic departments to ensure major-specific advising is provided.
• Work closely with program partners to identify targeted programs for students.
• Oversee the course credit transfer form process for designated advisees and post-acceptance material completion, providing workshops, as needed, and liaising with program partners and university offices and academic departments.
• Provide support for students in their adjustment and preparation for returning home, as well as, provide supportive services for health and safety issues that may occur.
• Work with students to ensure academic records have been properly transferred and to involve them in activities, such as, reentry programming, and other on-campus global learning activities.
Study Abroad Program Coordination
• Organize and coordinate all pre-departure activities such as, visas, transportation, housing, promotional materials, information sessions, the application/acceptance process, and orientations.
• Orient faculty to the program (in collaboration with faculty leading the program), conduct information sessions each semester, create and maintain a faculty guidebook with timeline of task completion, update a student handbook and a parent handbook.
• Coordinate and facilitate several student orientation sessions.
• Responsible for day-to-day administrative details, and communication with students, faculty, parents, university offices and academic departments, and overseas providers, prior to, during, and after the off-campus study experience.
• Coordinate study abroad exchange programs, including, providing assistance to students' on applications for designated programs, maintaining an exchange balance spreadsheet, and convening an annual review of materials and processes with appropriate offices.
• Provide expertise for existing pre-departure and reentry programs for study abroad students and assist the office in developing new programs as necessary to support the Office's Complete Advising Model.
• Assist with developing and delivering appropriate cultural competency and global learning workshops/programs to study abroad students prior to and after return from study abroad.
• Assist with the Global Ambassador Program.
• Assist with additional global learning events on campus to promote study abroad, such as the annual study abroad fair.
Special Projects and Other Duties
Perform special projects /other duties as appropriate. These may include, but are not limited to, planning for domestic and international visitors, generating statistics for campus and public constituents, and visiting partner and/or Bucknell program sites as necessary.
• A Bachelor's degree.
• At least three years' experience working with diverse constituency groups including students, faculty, third party providers / partners, and community members.
• Demonstrated knowledge of health and safety issues in education abroad, advising, and program development and policy.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Strong attention to detail, multitasking, time management, and organizational skills including ability to work independently and cooperatively as a team member.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
• Ability to use good judgment, discretion, and sensitivity in dealing with confidential matters.
• Student advising or teaching experience.
• Some evenings and weekends are required.
• Master's degree in a relevant field.
• At least 5 years of professional experience in higher education.
• Significant experience living, studying, or working abroad.
• Experience working with diverse groups and with college students.
• Demonstrated knowledge of industry standards for international education and study abroad as developed by the FORUM, NAFSA, and other international organizations, etc.
• Demonstrated skill in creating, writing, and implementing comprehensive policies, protocols, forms, instructions and handbooks with appropriate technical content, style and grammar, and guiding the approval of such documents through a complex organization.
• Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and application of student development theories, advising models and intercultural communication in the field of international education.
• Active involvement with a professional organization in the field of International Education
• Valid US drivers license
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position, scheduled to work 11 months (August 1 through June 30).
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of submission of the application.
This is a Staff Exempt position with a hiring range of $35,600-44,500 (E04). The offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's credentials compared to the qualifications of the position, internal equity, and our overall compensation philosophy.
Eligible full- and part-time employees are compensated beyond base salary through our total rewards package that includes (but is not limited to):
- flexible scheduling options determined by role;
- medical, prescription drug, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance options
- an outstanding 10% employer contribution to your retirement plan (no contribution requirement for non-exempt positions)
- generous paid time off, including vacation and sick time, a community service day, and 19 paid holidays (including two full weeks off for Winter Break!)
- full-time and part-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for themselves. Additionally, full-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition remission for their spouse/spousal equivalent and are eligible for various tuition programs for their children. Credit for full-time benefits eligible employment at other institutions of higher education will be applied to waiting periods.
- a comprehensive employee wellness program including program incentives
- a myriad of other benefits, including parental leave, an employee assistance program, fitness center membership, and the power of your Bucknell ID card
To learn more about Bucknell's benefits, clickhttps://www.bucknell.edu/azdirectory/human-resources/employee-benefits! (*Eligibility criteria and waiting periods may apply.)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. We endeavor to enhance our capacity to value and capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity brings. We encourage all individuals to apply and do not discriminate in admissions, employment, educational programs and/or activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, sex/gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital or family status, military or veteran status, or genetic information.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4162928
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.