Academic Program Advisor
Location: Silicon Valley
Job ID: 52830
Work location is in Santa Clara, the heart of Silicon Valley.
"Work and live in Silicon Valley and be an employee of UC Santa Cruz!"
NO VISA SPONSORSHIP IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlhttps://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-23-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The Student Success and Affairs department includes the International and Workforce Development Programs which are an essential part of the UCSC Silicon Valley Extension division located at 3175 Bowers Avenue, Santa Cara, CA.
These programs serve multiple kinds of students: International and Workforce Development. Our mission is to provide excellent service to these populations, develop new programs, maximize their experience with us, and help them reach their academic and professional goals. In total, the department can serve up to 300+ students each quarter. Generally, department staff will work with these students through their whole student journey with UCSC Silicon Valley Extension, from inquiry to application, through program completion and beyond and into their career development.
More information can be found here: https://www.ucsc-extension.edu
Using skills as a seasoned, experienced student services professional, provides the full range of student services within University Extension. Independently advises students and resolves student services-related issues on the full range of academic issues inherent within the organization. Advises faculty and management on a variety of student issues. Works with management to recommend changes to policies, practices, and procedures.
Budgeted Salary: $61,500 - $68,000 / Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted range. The salary shown above is the budgeted range the University reasonably expects to pay.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
• Full-time, Fixed
• Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
• Days of the Week: Mon-Fri, occasiional weekends
• Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Silicon Valley (Santa Clara)
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 004575 (STDT SVC ADVISOR 3)
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
30% - Advising
• Academic Advising: Advises students on policies and procedures; reviews students' progress and advises students and faculty on requirements for program completion; identifies students with progression problems and recommends interventions; devises curriculum planning in collaboration with Instructors, Program Managers, Program Director, and/or departments.
• Provides program and enrollment/scheduling advising to potential and currently enrolled students.
• Immigration: Takes on the PDSO (Principal Designated School Officer) role for UCSC Silicon Valley Extension and is the main contact for SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System), DHS (Department of Homeland Security), and USCIS (United States Citizen and Immigration Services).
• Student Conduct: Responsible for interpreting organization policies and advising students on student conduct. Works in collaboration with Instructors, Program Managers, Program Director, and/or departments on student grievances, disputes, and issues regarding discrimination.
30% - Outreach, Events, Career & Student Services
• Events: Coordinates and implements non-complex student events and assists in the planning and implementation of complex events.
• Outreach to international recruitment agent partners and international students; presents Extension programs at virtual and in person events as needed; onboards new partners; keeps track of outreach and recruitment efforts.
• Student Orientation: Oversees and conducts orientations of new students.
• Assists with organization of Job Fairs. Identifies and cultivates potential employers for Job Fairs and/or Internships. Plans, designs, and provides workshops for students, such as information about the organization or academic strategies and enrichment programs. Develops and enhances an alumni recruitment network.
• Applying professional student services concepts, provides the full range of student services to the student populations served by the organization.
• Career Counseling: Advises department/college/school students on the job market process, and the standards and norms specific to the student's field of study; advises on internship programs; develops and maintains network of departments and updates the internship partner company list.
20% - Applications
• Recruitment and Admissions for programs that include but are not limited to International Programs, Workforce Programs, Certificate Programs, Bootcamps, etc. Plans and implements outreach programs with specifically targeted institutions; advises prospective applicants on necessary academic preparation and appropriateness of program as it pertains to the prospective applicant's goals; utilizing in-depth knowledge of the organization's programs, admissions criteria, helps rank applicants for admissions; evaluates domestic and international transcripts for degree eligibility; initiates and arranges student recruitment visits.
• International: Processes applications for International Program prospective students. Provides non-legal advising, guidance and assistance to students from inquiry to enrollment.
• Takes on the PDSO role for UCSC Silicon Valley Extension and is the main contact for SEVIS, DHS and USCIS.
• May assist with Workforce: Processes applications for prospective students for Workforce Development. Provides guidance and assistance to students from inquiry to enrollment.
• Meets tight deadlines with a high attention to details.
• Other: Processes applications for other student programs as needed.
20% - New Programs
• Assists with organizing and implementing processes for new programs in the international department. This includes collaboration with UCSC Main Campus departments and University Extension. The new programs could include short study programs, bootcamp style programs, pathways programs, and other new developments as they arise.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Working knowledge of advising and counseling techniques with keen interest in helping students meet their academic and career goals.
• Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving, identifying measures of system performance and the actions to improve performance.
• Ability in problem identification and reasoning.
• Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
• A positive growth mindset.
• Interpersonal skills.
• Master's degree in related discipline: TESOL, Higher Education Administration, International Education, Adult Education, or related area
• Knowledge of University-specific computer application programs and knowledge of University and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
• Ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
• Previous experience as a DSO (Designated School Officer) or PDSO (Principal Designated School Officer)
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
• Will be required to work a hybrid work schedule, days of the week and number of days to be determined, and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
• Ability to occasionally work overtime with little or no advance notice.
• Ability to work overtime including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays to meet operational needs, and work an alternate work schedule shift as required.
• Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
• Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
• The University of California has implemented a https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19 covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.