The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
International Classroom Educator
Job Profile Title
Temporary Employee - Non-Exempt
Open to all, the Museum is home to remarkable objects and powerful stories that emerge from its extraordinary expeditions across the world. Discover the cultures of Africa, Asia, the Americas, and the Mediterranean, from the very first cities of the Middle East to the kings of ancient Egypt; from prehistoric Mexico to the lives of Native American communities today. Experience the mystery of the ancient past, gain an understanding of our shared humanity, and find your own place in the arc of human history.
International Classroom Educators (IC Educators) help students learn from an educator's own personal heritage and experiences. Furthermore, the International Classroom Program extends the Penn Museum mission to "transform understanding of the human experience" by promoting intercultural dialogue and engagement through interactive workshops. Educators will deliver cultural educational programs at the Penn Museum, in off-site learning communities (e.g. schools, libraries, and/or senior living communities), and/or virtually (from the Museum or from a remote location, as conditions allow).
The IC Educator(s) will work between 1-5 hours per week, determined by reservation requests and the IC Educator's availability. These work hours will be to present their workshop and will usually occur during school hours (mostly Monday-Friday, between the hours of 8:00-3:00pm). This is a year-round position, which regularly experiences increased hours in the Spring and less in the Summer. IC Educators are compensated with a base honorarium for each workshop session; this honorarium is increased for larger groups and off-site/outreach sessions. IC Educators are not financially compensated for the development of their workshop but will receive 1) instructional support from the Global Education Manager & the LPE team, and 2) special access to select Museum programming.
- Native-born people from Africa (Botswana, Tanzania, Benin, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Ghana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria, Egypt, Angola), Mexico and Central America (Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras), South America (Colombia, Peru), China, South Asia (Afghanistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, India) or the Middle East (Iraq, Syria, Iran); immigrants and refugees are welcome!
- Commitment to developing and facilitating excellent cultural educational programs for K-12 audiences
- Comfortable with sharing selective and age-appropriate stories of lived cultural experiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills - comfort and interest in supporting young learners is a must
- Proficient spoken English skills
- Proficient technical skills, especially for presentation development and video conferencing
- K-12 pedagogical training and teaching experience
- Availability to occasionally facilitate outreach (off-site) workshops
- Strong written English skills
- Excellent technical skills and graphic design sensibility
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$7.25 - $155.75
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check may be required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.